Author Topic: Gamma Knife in Seattle  (Read 12749 times)

robinb

Re: Gamma Knife in Seattle
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 10:35:57 am »
Glad to hear, hope your insurance comes through for whatever procedure you choose.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 09:26:39 pm »
I had my CK done at Swedish January 2008 & Dr Vermullen was my dr. I no longer follow with her but I do agree she is great.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

rodneyd

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 06:19:49 pm »
Hi Rachel,

Since I had a small AN and I still had fairly good hearing in my AN ear, I decided to go with Watch and Wait, and I haven't been on this web-site much, but just noticed your posting about your Swedish experience.  Dr. Vermeulen is such a knowledgeable and caring professional, I was confident about speaking highly of her, but am very glad you concur with this assessment.

Please keep us all updated with any status of your husband's treatment.  It is always helpful to read about the different situations, as they are all patient specific.  I wish him (and you) much success in whatever treatment option you choose.

I think there will be a meeting of the local chapter of the AN society sometime in March, maybe you can check with Barbara Shinn about the date and the location.  I certainly encourage you and your husband to attend this meeting, it is such an informative and supportive group and they make you realize that you are not alone.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Rod

74year old male, 8.3x7.3x6.5 mm AN on 10-28-13.  MRI on 12-30-13 showed no growth.  Imbalance issues and mild tinnitus.  MRI on July 13, 2014 showed no growth.  Still on W & W and taking baby-aspirin regimen.  MRI in July, 2016 show slow growth (1.1 cm).  MRI on July 24, 2017 was 8.2 x 8.6 x 8 mm!

ampeep

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 11:54:15 am »
Hi Rachel & Rod,

Reading this post made me think back of when I went to school @ UW in the late 70's, -- back when Warren Moon was the quarterback, they just built the Kingdome, and the Sonics won the NBA championship.

Good luck w/ your W&W and CK!

Keith - UW '78
8/2/13 - diagnosed 1.9 CM right side; 1/13/14 - MRI it got bigger!; 2/10/14 - GK; 8/18/14 - shrinking; 8/17/15 - still shrinking, reduced symptoms

rrsandstrom

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 09:08:32 pm »
ampeep - and now the Super Bowl!  Seattle has been a celebrating town the last month.

Rod - I will definitely keep in touch with Barbara and try to come to the meeting if I can convince my husband!

An update - Larry went for his planning MRI & CT and mask making last Friday (he tells me that I will definitely be freaked out by the mask).  We just got notified today that his treatment is scheduled for next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  I don't know any details about the actual amounts of radiation.  Is that something I should ask about?   The scheduler said that it's not necessary that I accompany him but I will at least go the first day.  And then the waiting game starts over again.  I will keep you all posted...

ampeep

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 04:49:41 pm »
oh, forgot 'bout the Super Bowl!!

Good luck w/ Larry's treatment next week, hope things work out well.
8/2/13 - diagnosed 1.9 CM right side; 1/13/14 - MRI it got bigger!; 2/10/14 - GK; 8/18/14 - shrinking; 8/17/15 - still shrinking, reduced symptoms

Barb909

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 12:05:49 am »
Rachel and Larry,

Best of luck next week! I'll keep you close and send good thoughts your way. If I can be of help, please let me know. You have done your work in making this tough decision, so now try to relax and let the docs do their thing. You are in excellent hands!

Barbara
Feb. 2010    4 x 8 x 5mm
June 2011   4.7 x 8.9 x 4.0mm
May 2012    4.5 x 9.1 x 3.9mm
Sept. 2013   5 x 10.1 x 5mm
Feb. 2015     6 x 13 x 5 mm
In IAC near cochlea
Mild hearing loss, tinnitus
W & W, thinking about treatment

rodneyd

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 04:55:45 pm »
Dear Rachel and Larry,

Today should be Larry's second CK, and I was wondering how it has been going for both of you?  It would be really great if you could both attend the next AN meeting, as there are only a few who have had the radiation treatment and I think many of the members would enjoy talking with you and finding out more details of your experience.

Good luck, and keep in touch!

Rod
74year old male, 8.3x7.3x6.5 mm AN on 10-28-13.  MRI on 12-30-13 showed no growth.  Imbalance issues and mild tinnitus.  MRI on July 13, 2014 showed no growth.  Still on W & W and taking baby-aspirin regimen.  MRI in July, 2016 show slow growth (1.1 cm).  MRI on July 24, 2017 was 8.2 x 8.6 x 8 mm!

rrsandstrom

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 11:36:37 pm »
Hi Rod, Barbara, and all,

Larry had his three sessions of cyberknife at Swedish radiosurgery center this week.  It was very anticlimactic and easy.  His first session was Monday and I went with him although they told us that most people do just fine and even go back to work afterwards.  He was just fine and both of us went back to work.  He went in on his own on Tuesday and then I returned with him on Wednesday to meet with the doctor after his final session.  He didn't even see any doctors until after it was all done on Wednesday.  Unfortunately last weekend he developed a head cold and sinus infection (he has chronic allergies and sinus issues which is how we found the tumor initially 10 years ago) so he has been pretty miserable from that but not, to our knowledge, due to anything radiation related.  He started antibiotics and steroids yesterday for the sinus infection and is feeling better and nothing that he can attribute to the treatment.  Next steps are for a phone call with Dr. Vermeulen in a week and then she'll let us know when the first MRI would be.  The doctor we saw on Wednesday (Chris Loiselle) said probably not until a year out.  He also said that only about 25% swell so we will see.  We were very impressed and happy with Swedish.  Now it's just watch and wait and hope for no symptoms.  I will keep you posted and try to come to a Seattle support group meeting.  Thanks for all your help through this.

Rachel

rodneyd

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 12:08:04 pm »
Hi Rachel,

Hooray, it sounds like everything went as well as could be expected!!!  Based on what I have read on this site, it is probably premature to celebrate too much, but it is definitely a great start. 

Do you feel relieved that the treatment is all over? 

Hope to see you and Larry at the next AN Chapter meeting,

Rod 

Walene

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 02:35:23 pm »
How long does gamma keep working? My symptoms, balance & hearing and are getting worse over time. I had it done in 2011