Author Topic: Dry eye remedies  (Read 6776 times)

MNTim

Dry eye remedies
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:09:29 pm »
My last surgery was three years ago this month. Since that time I have struggled with dryness in my left eye. Last February I had a platinum weight inserted in my eyelid and tarsorrhaphy. This helped but I still was using drops regularly during dry times of the year. Recently I began using a humidifier and noticed immediate improvement in the reduction of early morning dry eye. During a recent visit with my optometrist she suggested that I try fish oil. I began taking it about one week ago and I have almost totally eliminated my eye drop use.
I know the struggle of finding remedies for the after effects of our treatments so I wanted to share what has helped me.
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

Kristena

Re: Dry eye remedies
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 07:17:31 pm »
That is great news! I also use a humidifier at night. I've tried using fish oil pills too, but I haven't lasted long enough to notice any positive change due to the horrible fishy-tasting burps! Is there a fish oil that doesn't cause this?

My dry eye had very slowly gotten better. I just recently was able to close my eye completely. But then terrible synkinesis around my eye made me request botox. I am very happy with the result, but now I'm back to not being able to fully close my eye (which I knew was going to happen). So I'll soon be looking for more relief I'm sure--and I think I'll request a punctal plug. I'm using drops 2-3x an hour, all day long.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 01:10:05 pm »
You can look for burpless fish oil, Kristena. I take fish oil and it does not help me with dry eye.

MNTim, i's great that fish oil does help you. Thanks for sharing. I hope that it helps others as well.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Mormor

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 04:00:19 pm »
I started taking fish oil about two months ago and after about two weeks my eye improved to the point I do not need any drops during the day. About a month ago I stopped the ointment at night and I'm doing fine. i'm not saying I'm cured but hopefully I'm on the right track.

i take two NatureMade Adult Gummies Fish Oil. No after taste/burps at all. They are a little tart but I'm use to them now. The only reason I bought the gummies is because I have a hard time swallowing the fish capsules.

4 cm AN diagnosed December 2012.
Translab surgery done April 2013 at Kaiser, San Diego by Dr. Cueva and Dr. Mastrodimos.

janet1949

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 04:48:19 pm »
i'm new on the forum. i've really enjoyed reading other peoples posts. i'm 3and1/2 years post op. i'm so thankful to say i haven't had to much balance problems, but facial paralysis and dry eye sometimes makes me feel i can't deal with it. i know with Gods help i'll be ok. i'm excited to try the fish oil because i can't keep moisture in my eye. i would have to have a constant drip to help. when i'm on the computer i wear a patch as to not aggravate it even more. good luck to all of you and i will be checking in.

Kristena

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 03:14:48 pm »
I ended up getting a punctal plug close to 2 weeks ago, and I would say I use about half the drops I used to. So 1-2x an hour versus 3-4. The first week was a little rough. My eye was irritated, and it felt like I had a large grain of sand in there. But this week I can't even feel it. My eye still gets dry, but I don't panic when I see my drops running low! I can't wait for this dry winter to be over. The cold wind and dry air have been quite a challenge. Yay for humidity!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

danny ray

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 03:13:54 pm »
I have sufffered with chronic dry eye for 15+ yrs. I've had puctal closures which I thought had cured me, but 8yrs later I'm right back at square one. Recently had Lipiflow treatment highly touted as a dry eye cure, didn't help at all. $3000.00 out of pocket wasted. Thinking about Sclera lenses but I'm not sure they really help. Does anyone have any input on these for dry eye. At a cost of $5000.00 with no insurance help, I'm stuck in the house living a miserable life.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 04:53:13 pm »
Danny, you should be able to find a scleral lens for far less than that. My insurance company denied my claim, which was about $325 for the fitting and $750 for the lens. I know others who found even less expensive lenses.

I wrote two weblog posts about my experience with a scleral lens:
http://www.sarahartman.com/the-eyes-have-it/
http://www.sarahartman.com/dry-eye-triumph/

The first one has a list of scleral lenses that I have been able to identify. Many of the manufacturer web sites have provider lists so that you can search for a provider in your area.

The posts here show how helpful scleral lens can be to someone with facial paralysis. Please do not settle for a miserable life stuck in the house.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jill Marie

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:36:45 pm »
Hi Danny,

Sara is so VERY right, get the scleral lens or a similar lens and head out to enjoy our wonderful Spring weather!  My lens only cost me $250 plus a few co-pays for the doctor visit.  Please read Sara's logs and also do a search on here for the scleral lens, it's not always spelled the same.  If you go to the eye issues part of this board you will find several threads that talk about the lens.  Feel free to ask as many questions as you like as we are more that happy to share with you the relief we have found with the lens.  I had severe dry eye for 22 years, yesterday I went on a hike for 3 hours with my hubby and four legged friends and loved it, no need for ointment or drops while out having fun!  Jill Marie 8)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:41:58 pm by Jill Marie »
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.