Author Topic: PRE OP  (Read 4481 times)

DIZZYGRAN

PRE OP
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:21:55 am »
I have an 3.1 acoustic neuroma and am going to the hospital for a pre-op assessment on the 15th January.  Does anyone know how soon after this I might have my surgery.

TexasSprinter

Re: PRE OP
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:57:09 am »
I can go only by my experience, but unless there is a medical urgency (for example, the AN pushing on brain stem), the timing of the surgery will depend heavily on your surgeons' schedules. I have had 2 AN surgeries, and each time the doctors were booked 4-6 weeks out by the time I made my decision to go forward with the surgeries. I don't know if that wait is typical. Best of luck to you.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 09:18:24 pm »
Depends on 1) the urgency of your "situation" and 2) the docs' schedules.

I had surgery 6 weeks after my diagnosis - but could have had it sooner if I wanted to.

Keep us posted,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:27:20 am »
Dizzygran ~

I concur with the previous posters that the date of your surgery will be decided by various factors including your doctor's surgery schedule, your availability and of course, the risks of delaying the surgery will be taken into account.

Following my AN diagnosis of a 4.5 cm tumor, the neurosurgeon I chose wanted to operate within days due to the compression on my brain stem (he was amazed that I walking around).  Due to a complication (cancer false alarm) the surgery had to be postponed for three weeks but was performed without complications and my recovery went well. 

Every AN patient - surgery or radiation - has a slightly different experience but most do O.K.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

DIZZYGRAN

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:29:00 am »
Hi, thank you for the answers to my previous post.  I went to hospital yesterday where the nurse talked me through the procedure.  My surgery is a little delayed because I have a long, long standing chest problem and because the surgery is lengthy this will need extra care.  She went through all the problems with the damage to nerves etc and I dont know what to worry about most!! I wonder how many people suffer with all the facial problems, eyes, eating etc.  I feel that I am in for a life changing experience. I am sleeping so badly with the worry of it all. Just off loading sorry

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 12:34:01 pm »
DizzyGran ~

No need to apologize for feeling apprehensive.  That is the typical attitude all AN patients have prior to surgery and I remember it well.

This is a discussion forum intended for AN patients (surgical and radiation) where we share ideas, offer suggestions and basically support each other.  As we like to say: if you can't vent here, then where? 

Please know that the doctors performing the surgery are legally and ethically obligated to inform you of all the possible things that could occur during and as a result of the surgery.  Nerve damage is one of them and it can happen but it is not a given.  Many AN surgical patients that suffer facial nerve damage find that it is temporary as the nerves heal from the surgical trauma.  Some AN surgery patients have no noticeable facial nerve issues at all.  I'm one of those folks - and I'm not an anomaly.  However, it is better to be aware of the possible issues before the surgery and not be surprised if immediately post-op, there are problems.   I'm hoping that you won't have any complications and that you'll soon be posting here and relating your recovery process.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

DIZZYGRAN

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 04:22:26 pm »
Thank you Jim, it does help to hear from someone who has gone through all this.  I am trying to be positive and I have great confidence in the doctors and nurses if have met up to now.  I am finding it very hard to concentrate on anything else at the moment. It would be nice to hear from anyone that had experienced the nerve damage thing and how they got through it and what sort of impact if any it has had on their lives. Im expecting having to get used to people staring at me!

TexasSprinter

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:29:32 pm »
DizzyGran--perfectly said by Jim:  No need to apologize.  I have vented several times here on the forum.  It is difficult to tell from the posts here what percentage of people have post-surgery complications.  Each case is unique but from what my doctors have told me, it sounds like more people have positive outcomes (with little or no or manageable complications) than the other way around.  I have made it through my AN journey (surgery) with no facial complications, although I did lose the hearing in my left ear.  That's why God gave me two, right?  Best of luck to you and please keep us posted.
Scott

Mary More

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 11:50:43 pm »
Hi DizzyGran. It I had retrosigmoid approach surgery on October 28 2013 to remove a 2.6 that grew to 4.3 cm cystic AN within 2 months, and compressing my brainstem.  Facial paralysis was something I dreaded to the point that I told the surgeons that if the Tumor was intangled on my facial nerve just to de-bulk it. Although my facial nerve was monitored and not severed it has been traumatized and weakened by the stress and swelling due to the surgery. I am now dealing with facial parleys. My surgeon is very sure that it's temporary, up to 18 months, the nerve heals very slowly. I will have to do radiation when the doctor feels that my facial nerve is strong enough.

Well at first I felt very distraught, my face looked as if I had a stroke, very droopy. I could barley eat, everything had to be puréed, that has improved but I still can't eat a burger or a  bigger sandwich  without some trouble. Drink, everything dribbled especially from a bottle, Drinking is somewhat better now. Brushing and flossing my teeth is difficult, I have to pull my lip over to the right side to floss and for mouthwash I have to hold my lips together in swoosh or it all comes dribbling out. To wash my face was almost imposable, my eye was almost bulging out of my face, water would sting my eye terribly. I still can't close my eye but it protrudes a lot less and if I look down ny eye lids lower together. I still have to tape my eye shut every night in order to protect it, as well as use ointment e few times a day to keep it moist. I saw an ophthalmologist two weeks after the surge about putting in a gold weight in order to help the eye lid close but I haven't scheduled that yet because there has been a little improvement and I rather wait see for now.

I don't know How will it affect me at work because I haven't started back yet. But how has it affected day to day life? Well, I live in Canada and winter being cold and often windy, I have to protect my eye from the irritating elements, I wear my wrap around sunglasses and wear an eye pa ch under the glasses if I take a walk. I am a little more self conscious that people stare at me but in the most part they don't and if I'm talking to them long enough and I notice they are puzzled I explain that my face is paralyzed due to surgery. I have started applying makeup again it's a little tricky, and I haven't applied mascara yet cause I'm affair it will be to difficult to remove. I still go out and shop, or socialize I still talk to who ever is around, and  laugh as I did before ( right cheek (paralyzed side) hurts when I laugh a lot. And I'm planing to travel as we did before because I decided that I can't let this isn't going to controle my life, I may as well get use to it because who knows if it's permanent, and I don't want to sit around hiding until it dose.

I hope I haven't scared you. Like everything in life, we adjust. It is very important to stay positive. We we're handed a bad card in life and we must play it. Things can always be worst. Thank God it's not cancer.
Mary