Author Topic: Trying to get through the paralysis  (Read 9346 times)

william5822

Re: Trying to get through the paralysis
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 11:19:20 am »
Deborah it is so nice to meet you.
I'm sorry your going through this too.
We are now almost at 5 weeks :)
He is doing better at eating but still gets so frustrated. And yep the coffee...he hasn't even tried that yet but he hates the straws. But he is managing. And I agree with your daughter.....it's a small hurdle but it could of been so much more worse.
We haven't went the weight route yet. I work for an ophthalmologists office so we are going to check into the temporary weights. Just need to get him fitted for one. So far I have been able to keep his eye pretty well moist.

Was your facial nerve saved?
Keep your chin up too!
3 cm AN removed 12.3.13 - 12 hours in surgery
Emory Healthcare Midtown Atlanta
Left Side facial paralysis - intact facial nerve
1.31.14 - Gold weight implant and tarsal flap
2.17.14 RETURNED to work :)
10.6.14 - 10 month MRI shows stable

Saracatherine422

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 03:19:17 pm »

My first question is - is there a typical time frame as to when he may see improvement
Does anyone have any pointers on how to eat? He is so tired of milkshakes and soups. And as of today he has lost 20 lbs. I'm at a loss on what to do to help.

I had my AN removed on 10/21/12. I'm almost three months out. My neurosurgeon said that he didn't mess with my facial nerve. The only nerve he actually had to cut was for my ear, causing ssd. However,I'm paralyzed on the left side of my face. I was told it would be at least six months, and that's because when the nerves experience trauma, it takes a while to recover. So tell him not to worry. I was in the hospital a total of 3 weeks. I was in one hospital, then another for physical therapy, and then another stay at the first one. I had a second surgery to drain fluid.

When I got out, I could barely walk and that was with help.  My whole left side was affected. My meds had to be put in apple sauce because I had a hard time swallowing and drinking any liquid. My whole left side is not like it was.  I lost 15 pounds in the hospital because I couldn't eat a lot of things.The first month is hard. I still drink most with a straw, but I can eat mostly like normal. My face is still paralyzed on one side. I have a hard time with my eye. I went from walking with help and a walker, to a walker, to a cane with help, to a cane and now I walk on my own. Granted I look like a drunk, but It's always improving. So on't give up and let him know that it just takes time. And the alternative is definitely not an alternative.

I'm still waiting and recovering and I have felt how he's felt so I know how he feels. Just tell him to be patient and that it's ok to be upset.

millie

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 10:41:19 am »
I am sorry you and your husband are having these difficulties.  It took me several months to get better…to be able to walk with more balance, to drive, to chew better, to make expression.  It is 15 months out for me.  I too have some facial paresis now. But I am better than I was; it is just frustrating, because we want to be better right away.  And perfect especially if we liked to pretty ourselves up!  However we are still here!  Just know it takes time, everyone is different, and it will get better.  When your husband is better, maybe the doctor will prescribe some therapy.  Prayers and best wishes.  Millie