Author Topic: GREAT Drs!  (Read 7405 times)

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
GREAT Drs!
« on: December 16, 2013, 11:40:18 pm »
I had a really great experience with Dr Brackmann and Schwartz at House, also loved the anesthesiologist. I am a medical professional and was more concerned with skill than personalities, but they oddly have both! Kind, caring, gentle and spectacular surgeons. I traveled from Idaho for transab Dec 11th and am thankful that I came here!
Karen

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: GREAT Drs!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 02:42:28 pm »
Karen ~

Congratulations on your successful surgery!

HEI has long been a famous facility renowned for it's surgeons and their expertise with acoustic neuromas.  I didn't go there but House was my fallback facility had I not found an experienced AN neurosurgeon near my Connecticut home.  Although there are many very experienced, competent doctors successfully treating AN patients around the country, HEI remains a standout facility.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 03:50:01 pm »
Glad to hear your had great docs!  Lots of us did!  Can't say enough great things about mine, too!!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grace

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 11:15:26 am »
Are there really that many great outcomes? I have read and talked to so many that still have serious issues that were a result of the surgury. Now they cannot hear, or continuous headaches, balance and paralysis. I have a history of migraines and cannot imagine a headache worse than what I get that last for weeks to a month....I am unsure but due to the vertigo/balance I am starting to search again for MD"S to remove the AN. The ENT said it s now time because he thinks it is growing and causing th evertigo. I have had allergy problems since the fall that turned into a double ear infection... taht just is clearing up ...so I thought it was due to that ans my neck kills from all the stress and typing... Any comments, I just read  from the ANA Notes issue 111   9/2009 pain can throw off the balance and since I am inside -not getting as much excercise I thought the pain which is always an issue with me in the winter was the cause of the vertigo esp b/c my neck muscles have ben so tight.   Thanks,Grace

elsie

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:18:27 pm »
Grace, Yes.  Yes, I have been a great outcome for 25 years after surgery for a giant AN.  I remember my AN everyday, it truly is the gift that keeps on giving.  But I have had a rich, full life post-op.  I have mostly facial return, my ssd and tinnitus are manageable, my dry eye is excessively annoying, but in good shape, my vertigo (pre-op symptom) is gone and no cognitive short comings.  It is not the normal I knew, but it is good.  The AN literally made me stronger, phsychologically and even physically.  I grieve for "my smile", I mentally grimmace when talking to someone new.  If that is my worst burden, that is fine.  It truly is not all gloom and doom - a lot of the result is in how you mentally deal with it.  Decide to win, find a good surgical team and follow their advice post treatment.  We can't guarantee results, but The result of doing nothing can be devastating.

Please remember, that we are on this forum because we are new to the AN world or because we are having issues.  I personally know a couple of Post-op fellow AN travelers who also are doing great.  ANs are serious, potentially aweful things, but not all results are bad.
Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed

kcarloy

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 09:34:22 pm »
Yes, there are many great outcomes. Now 6wks out translab, no headaches, balance is at least as well as preop, I'm 55yrs, riding my horses a little already, lifting farm stuff, working. Yes I am SSD, but I work with people in a fairly quiet area and spend alot of outdoor time in the quiet of nature, at this point I am not considering this a problem. I am prone to tension headaches, so I made sure to move my head and neck postop with stretching exercises, no headaches! The daily walking probably has improved my everyday stress management too. Karen

grace

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 09:00:14 am »
Thank you my AN friends. I am sorry if I seem negative ... this has been 7-8 yrs straight of major life stresses. So by the time this came I was/am not in any way strong to deal with more pain, and isolation. I was just getting my spirit back... I hope to be the happy ,positive, beam of light I was... always finding the beauty in all,and giving to all, now I feel I just don't have it to give it except for words- I can always inspire people..that is my gift they say. If this had happened 7-10 yrs ago,when I had a stronger self and support system I could have dealt wih it better. By now I am sick & tired of being sick & tired and so is everyone I am sure.. I had the rosey glasses , after 2 major botch jobs - my trust  in MD's had gone away. I too am a Health profesional and now am not working b/c I taught prevention and Psychoneuroimmunology(now I must use this) and the USA is more about drugs and surgury. However, now it is going toward prevention and I cannot be sure to commit to work at this point so I ask for the AN just to go away and with rest and prayers and no more  sinus issues, I hope it does. I am a real inconvenience at this pt I feel.. Sincerely ,Grace

kcarloy

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 09:13:43 am »
I think you are moving in the right direction, nurture and strengthen your spirit to help you to make decisions to take care of your body! HEC also has an allergist that may be helpful? Sometimes you have to throw in the towel and turn your health over to a trusted health professional (as patients have probably done to you in the past:)

michellef08

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 03:14:03 pm »
Hi Grace,
I had a great outcome! I had Middle Fossa at House with Dr. Schwartz and Dr. Friedman in April 2013. They preserved my hearing (it actually got a little better after surgery, which is basically unheard of), my facial nerve was completely unharmed and I haven't had any balance issues! I can ride my bike and ski perfectly normal! Most days I don't even remember I had brain surgery only 10 months ago!

I hope you find the right path for you!
~Michelle
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

v357139

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 08:06:03 pm »
Hi Grace.  I also had a great result.

But first I worried myself sick over mine, losing 60 lbs.  Some days I never thought I'd ever get through it. It was a weaker me who finally got it removed at 3.5cm.  Go to highly experienced teams, and that gives you a great chance.  Make sure you ask about headaches and any other concerns.  Then you'll know you covered the bases.

I am so glad I am on the other side.  You will be too.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 03:16:23 pm »
Are there really that many great outcomes?

Obviously I can't speak for others, but my outcome was great.  No issues except for SSD (single-sided deafness) and my BAHA helps tremendously with that.

My life, and what I'm able to do in my life, hasn't changed a bit.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MikeW

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 11:32:09 am »
Mike had a revision translab AN surgery 1-23-14 at the House Clinic with Dr. Schwartz and Slattery.  They removed 98% of tumor and Mike feels better than he has in 20 months.  Mike had translab AN surgery in Omaha, NE 12-20-12 and the nurses and doctors just did not have the experience with ANs that the nurses and doctors did at the House Clinic.  St. Vincent Hospital is old, but I was so impressed with the nurses and how they knew to care for Mike during his 5 day stay verses the nurses in Omaha who were very intimidated to work with someone who had Brain surgery.  The doctors at the House Clinic know what they are doing when it comes to ANs.  3 weeks post op and Mike is back to work and walking on the treadmill everyday.  He is a runner and excited to get back to running.

Marilyn
7-18-12 MRI 2cm AN, 100% loss of useful hearing and some balance issues.
12-20-12 Translab only removed 10% of tumor, slow recovery of facial nerve
9 month post op MRI 2.6cm
1-23-14 Revision Translab on 3.4cm AN at House Clinic.  They removed 98% of tumor and facial nerve not damaged. We're thrilled

northerngal2020

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 12:00:07 am »
Can anyone help me find a great doctor/hospital in Wisconsin for my ANA?   I'm looking at surgery possibly in July but do not like the Hospital.  They gave me the run around with my ANA for over a year. Now it has grown to the brain-stem!  I'm so upset I feel stuck.  My gut feeling is not good with how the outcome of surgery will be at this place.  I'm desperately searching and asking anyone that can recommend a caring and skillful place to have my surgery.  Thank you so much!!
I'm a newbie on here, so I hope I'm doing this right. 
Diane

v357139

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 07:30:19 pm »
I do not know any doctors in Wisconsin.  I am from NY and flew to House in CA, and had a great result.  Traveling was no issue at all.  Best of luck.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!