Author Topic: Soundbite apointment  (Read 5317 times)

wintersmd

Soundbite apointment
« on: December 11, 2013, 08:32:04 pm »
Well,  I just got back from Mayo Clinic in Rochester and had a meeting with the hearing device rep and dentist.  The meeting with the hearing device rep was not the best meeting I have had but I did get some good information.  I started the process for the soundbite prosthetic hearing device, the mold for the ITM device done and started the insurance process.  My hope is to have this completed by March.  I have been working with my insurance provider and they do not see a problem with getting approval for the soundbite.  I will keep you all posted on the progress.  In the mean time, if there is anyone out there that has some reports on the soundbite system, I would appreciate any insight. 

Mike

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Soundbite apointment
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:39:45 am »
Mike ~ 

Congratulations on starting the process for acquiring a Soundbite system.

To see messages regarding Soundbite from users of the device, go to the 'search' section (top left of page) and type 'Soundbite'.  That will give you a list of many posts from those who have the system. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Steven_Winters

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 02:21:25 pm »
I live in Las Vegas, NV and had to travel to The House Clinic in Los Angeles (which diagnosed my Acoustic Neuroma back in 1984) in order to get my Soundbite.  I've had it for about a year and I could not be happier with it.

It does everything I wanted it to do, and I have to give Denise Metalsky at The House Clinic credit during the initial consultation for making it clear what Soundbite does and does not do, this was very helpful to making my decision to move forward with this device.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 02:32:18 pm »
Well,  I just got back from Mayo Clinic in Rochester and had a meeting with the hearing device rep and dentist.  The meeting with the hearing device rep was not the best meeting I have had but I did get some good information.  I started the process for the soundbite prosthetic hearing device, the mold for the ITM device done and started the insurance process.  My hope is to have this completed by March.  I have been working with my insurance provider and they do not see a problem with getting approval for the soundbite.  I will keep you all posted on the progress.  In the mean time, if there is anyone out there that has some reports on the soundbite system, I would appreciate any insight. 

Mike

Mike,

Were you able to try out the equipment before committing to it?

I went to a local support group meeting recently and a rep from Soundbite was there to demonstrate the product. I tried it and found it inconvenient and unworkable. I hope you have better luck.

As for the insurance, I suggest you get written approval from the claims department.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

wintersmd

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 07:15:36 pm »
Arizona Jack

Back in July my wife and I went to a support group meeting in Minneapolis and the soundbite rep for our area was there.  He did let us try the soundbite and it seemed to work pretty well.  I got a call today from Mayo and they submitted the paper work to my insurance company.  I hope to hear something soon.  As soon as I do, I will let everyone know.

Mike

BeckyMax

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:31:59 pm »
Good luck Mike.   I hope it works out for you.  I was interested in SoundBite and did the insurance investigation with them back in December.  They said I would be responsible for about $3000 "if" the insurnace company accepted the protestic classification, but they couldnt' guarantee.   I was not ready to move forward as i was still undergoing Cyberknife at the time.    Fast forward to last week, I had them reverify my benefits (new year, same group health insurance), this time the device was turned down, no coverage offered.  The quoted price is right around $8,000.  They are offering a plan where you pay for 3 years, and can cancel after the first year and return the product, but that's $3200 (they require a down payment around $600), and then I have nothing.   I've been quoted $4400 for the Phonak without any coverage, paid for and done - mine to keep.   

I love the idea behind the soundbite, but I just can't afford that much money for the unproven technology.   I would have loved to try it, just wish it were more affordable.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 02:37:09 pm »
I believe some insurances are finally stepping up to the plate so to speak...My daughter is in the process of getting a Soundbite (has been wanting one for a long time) and our insurance (Regence / Uniform) has initially indicated 60% coverage. This information was given to a rep. from Sonitus who contacted us.

Steelermedallion

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 06:43:23 pm »
Yes, I just received approval from United Healthcare for my device. My portion will end up being about 1400 total, which includes dentist, audiologist and the device itself.