Author Topic: Wow, has it been four years already???  (Read 5010 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Wow, has it been four years already???
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:44:04 am »
Hey all, as I was perusing the internet this morning I happened to look at the date and noticed that today, four years ago, I was going under the knife/saws, etc.  So naturally one must take stock on how I've faired.  Well, I still have some hearing on my AN side, but if I hadn't had my BAHA put in, then I'd be suffering.  My balance is pretty much normal. I will once in a blue moon kind of keel over if I am in some unusual position, but I guess that would be the norm anyways, right? I guess the biggest effect I've notice, aside the hearing, is the fact that when I get tired, it hits me HARD.  Maybe it's the effect of getting older (I'm 49 now), but it's the new normal and if that's all that's wrong with me, then I am doing very good!  I work out at the gym on a consistent basis, bicycle, run (planning on entering the Spartan race here in a couple of months) so I'm probably in the best shape I have been in a while.  So there is hope, future posties!  Even if you don't recover quite as well, know that there is life after the knife.  You'll find all kinds of testimonials here on the forum that allude to that fact.  I also want to thank a handful of people who've been a constant source of support for me: Phyll, Jim, Clarice and Jan. Also everyone else who all have chimed in over the last four years. It's been a blast being a moderator on here.  Many of you don't realize what it takes to have a safe place free of soliciting and spam where you can vent and seek support without having to deal with insensitive people.  You've got a great group of mods and the Director of ANA, Judy, who really do care about what goes on here.  I will now end the lengthy diatribe and offer a small piece of advice.  This forum is a great place to get support, but it would not be possible if not for the regulars who contribute on here or those who donate to the ANA (See the top of the page for the membership link).  Ever since I got my AN, I've wanted to "pay it forward" and help others as others have helped me so I encourage you to do the same in whatever way it makes you feel comfortable. Ok, enough of that! Thanks again for a wonderful four years!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Wow, has it been four years already???
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 03:36:05 pm »
Hey, Jay ~

Congratulations on your four-year 'anniversary'! 

I'm pleased to learn how well you're doing and appreciate your kind words as well as the desire to 'pay it forward' that many of us share.  Like you, Phyl and Joe, I remain a mod (5 years and counting) because it is rewarding to assist and encourage other AN patients and help make the forums 'user friendly'. 

Here's to many more good years!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

clere

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 05:05:13 pm »
Thanks to all of you who take the time to stay current with this site and offer your help and wisdom.  You are a great source of information and reassurance.  I am scheduled for surgery at HEI on Jan 16, 2014 and I have learned so much here and am slowly if not totally coming to grips with the whole process. And I've learned it is a process that each of us goes through at our own pace and dealing with our own realities. Thanks again!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 02:20:59 pm »
Congrats on the 4 year milestone, Jay!   ;D

And thanks for being a moderator - a hard job that sometimes doesn't get you the appreciation from others that you deserve.  Phyl, Joe, Jim, you - and Steve before you - all do a great job.

The ANA is on my list of great places to send a charitable contribution to; just waiting on my year-end bonus so I can afford it.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 04:30:01 am »
Jay,

Pretty amazing when you recognize an ANniversary and it suddenly hits after a long length of time! :)  Congratulations on your ANniversary and a HUGE thank you for all you do here for AN'ers.

Happy ANniversary!
Phyl

(Jan... thank you, too! :)  )
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 06:35:19 am »
WOW, Jay ..... 4 years!!  You have gone through quite a rocky time and have come out an encouraging survivor!  Well done!  Thanks for taking on the moderator job ..... not an easy job sometimes.

You are so right that this discussion forum would not exist if it were not for the ANA.  I know money is tight for many AN patients and families, but I hope at least some can pay it back and/or forward whenever able.

Here's to at least 4 more "clean MRI" years!!  Prayers .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011