Author Topic: Houston Area Neurologist  (Read 9421 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Houston Area Neurologist
« on: September 11, 2006, 06:52:08 am »
I need a Houston area neurologist who listens, gets test results back quickly and speaks English fluently.  I used to be able to understand heavy accents, but since my surgery that isn't the case.  I just spent three days in the hospital and didn't understand a thing they told me!  All I know is they both said that it wasn't possible to have had surgery on the right side and have the ride side affected with numbness!  I have severe headaches, dizziness, facial numbness (new) and lip twitches and weakness in my entire right side.  My AN surgery was done almost fourteen months ago.  I also use a walker for balance.  Anyone with a great doctor,help, please.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

pattibobatti

Re: Houston Area Neurologist
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 09:06:59 am »
Hi Brenda,

Try calling pharmacies in your area. The pharmacists know the good ones!!

Hope that helps.

Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Obita

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 09:17:38 am »
Hi Brenda:

Write to Boppie.  I know she had surgery in Houston and she is very happy with her surgeons/neuros.

Good luck,  Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

tresaboat

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 07:03:50 am »
Hi Brenda,
Have you found a new Dr. yet.  I had my surgery in San Antonio back in 98, I really liked my team of Doctors, but I am tired of driving up there every year for follow ups.  I am looking into Doctors in Houston, and I am thinking about trying Dr. Joseph Chang he is with the UT Physicians.  Have you heard anything about him?

Good luck, Teresa
Teresa
"Still going strong"
3cm AN removal 10/18/1998
Left Translabyrinthine approach
Dr. James Olsson - Ear Medical Group San Antonio, Tx.
Left side deafness, constant tinnitus

Brendalu

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 07:01:50 am »
Teresa,
I am seeing Dr. John Lewis in Texas City on Novemeber 2.  I will let you know.  I have had excellant reports about him and have spoken with several of his patients.  I will let you know how I make out.  I have not heard of Dr. Chang, but then I am having a very hard time understanding anyone who doesn't speak English as a first language and that never used to be a problem.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

LarryS

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 07:54:56 pm »
I have been seeing Dr. Joseph Chang in Houston for over two years. He is excellent. He is now on Fannin with Texas ENT Physicians. New office.  He speaks better English than I do. If he says he is going to call you back, he does. He works with Neurosurgeon Dr. Alp who is at Herman Professional Building. They are going to be doing my surgery on November 6th. Dr. Alp specializes in these types of tumors. 

David707

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 08:16:16 pm »
Not sure if you are still looking for a Dr. in Houston.  I had my AN surgery in January 2005.  It was done by Dr. Vrabec (ENT) and Dr. Trask (Neurosurgeon) of Baylor College at Methodist Hospital. The surgery was a huge success (see my earlier posts for more details).  For that, I am very grateful.

Before the surgery, I spent quite some time in searching for options as well as doctors for the treatments.  Dr. Joseph Chang (ENT) and Dr. Vollmer (Neurosurgeon) was the other team that I was seriously considering at the last minutes.  Both were at Herman Hospital but holding teaching positions in UT Medical.  Dr. Change is a Harvard graduate.  If I remember right, he was the Director of some department in UT Medical and Dr. Vollmer was the Chairman of Neurosurgeon.  I made office visits to both of them.  They both appeared to be very competent and very patiently explained all the questions I had.  I agree with Larry, Dr. Chang’s English is excellent.  Most likely, he grew up and received most of his education in United State.  Being a Chinese myself, I did not pick up any Chinese accent from him.  In fact, I am not sure if he speaks Chinese at all.

Although at the end, I decided to go with Dr. Vrabec and Dr. Task for my surgery (and they did an outstanding job on me), I have to say Dr. Chang and Dr. Vollmer also left me an excellent impression.   

Any way, this is just some information for you.  Should you have further question I can be of help, do not hesitate to ask.  God bless you.   

David         
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !

BB

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 12:33:24 am »
I HAD SURGERY 4 MONTHS AGO WITH DR. VRABEC AND DR. TRASK.  I ALSO WAS SEEN BY DR. CHANG.  HE PUT ME ON THE WATCH AND WAIT PROGRAM.  AS I WAS WAITING I WANTED A SECOND OPINION AND VISTITED DR. VRABEC.  I LIKED BOTH DOCTORS, BUT I CHOSE DR. VRACBEC. AND DR. TRASK TO DO MY SURGERY.  THEY TOOK VERY GOOD CARE OF ME AND TOOK ALL THE TIME I NEEDED TO ASK QUESTIONS AND MAKE MY OWN DECISION.  I WAS SO IMPRESSED WITH THE STAFF OF DR. VRABEC AND DR. TRASK.  WHILE I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL.  DURING AND AFTER SURGERY, THEY TOOK SUCH GOOD CARE OF ME.  AFTER FIVE MONTHS OF WAITING I DID CHOOSE THE SURGERY.  THE FIRST 5 OR 6 DAYS WAS ROUGH, BUT AFTER I GOT HOME I HAD GREAT IMPROVEMENT.  DR. VRACBEC'S NURSE WAS ALWAYS A PHONE CALL AWAY WITH ANY QUESTION I HAD DURING THOSE FIRST FEW MONTHS.  VERY THANKFUL FOR HER KINDNESS.  SAME FOR DR. VRABEC. I LIKED DR. CHANG ALSO, BUT WITH THIS AN TUMOR, MAKING A DECESION IS THE HARDEST PART, AND THEN ITS ON TO RECOVERY, AND EACH PERSON IS DIFFERNET WITH THAT. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.   

Brendalu

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 05:19:36 am »
Thanks for all of the replies.  I see Dr. Lewis next week.  Hopefully, he will help figure out why I still have such balance issues and dizziness along with the headaches.  I'm almost fifteen months post op and really expected things to be a little different by now.
Hugs,
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Brendalu

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 09:15:54 pm »
I had my first visit with Dr. John Lewis in Texas City.  He is a great listener and explainer.  We are trying some new meds so I will keep you posted on how it works out.  I would recommend him as a neurologist to anyone needing one.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT