Author Topic: Pulsating tinnitus  (Read 4452 times)

Anne S B

Pulsating tinnitus
« on: December 05, 2013, 06:56:34 am »
I am four months out from Cyber knife surgery at Johns Hopkins to treat my acoustic neuroma.  Although I have had tinnitus for over a year, I am now suddenly faced with little bursts of noise that come intermittently, layered on top of my overall tinnitus.  Is this something others have experienced?  Last night it kept me from sleeping.  Is there anything I can do?

moeson

Re: Pulsating tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:44:53 pm »
About three or four months after Cyberknife, I also experienced pulsatile tinnitus for about a week. It went away by itself, and I hope it similarly does that for you.
MRI and Dx on 12/11/12, 1.7 x .9 x .8 cm
CyberKnife 1/23-25/13 @Capital Health Hopewell w/Dr. Lipani and Dr. Chen

Anne S B

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 10:06:50 am »
Thank you so much for this post.  I was beginning to despair.  Also, at the moment I feel as though I have added sinus pressure  (our weather in Maryland has been quite variable).  Could that be part of the problem?  Last night I turned my sound machine up to high volume and was able to sleep a little more.  I find that if I can avoid complete quiet I can stop obsessing for a little bit.  Otherwise all I do is wait for the next upbeat.

Nannybee

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 12:10:49 am »
Anne,
I am almost 8 months out from my radio surgery to treat my AN, and like you, I started having a second intermittent sound in addition to the constant high pitched ringing that is always there. I describe the second sound like an electrical static sound with no pattern.
I just posted about what a difficult time I'm having with this. I've taken to wearing my hearing aids to bed and playing music through them in addition to the masking program built in. Doesn't help much.
Good luck and I understand what you are going through.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

moeson

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 10:03:23 am »
I know this isn't the answer for everyone, but I found that taking an over the counter (Care One) sleep aid got me past the tinnitus sleep deprivation issue. When I first experienced tinnitus, I went through a month of insomnia hell. It didn't help that I was on a high dose of prednisone. Once I got off that drug and calmed down, I was able to get some precious sleep. I only take one pill, instead of the suggested two, and have no trouble falling asleep despite the constantly raging tinnitus. 
MRI and Dx on 12/11/12, 1.7 x .9 x .8 cm
CyberKnife 1/23-25/13 @Capital Health Hopewell w/Dr. Lipani and Dr. Chen

mesafinn

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 11:27:16 am »
Anne,

Pulsatile tinnitus is what lead me to discover the AN in my left ear.  I've had it daily for over a year.

After GK, the pulsatile tinnitus left my left ear and became full-blown tinnitus--and the pulsatile tinnitus moved over to my non-AN ear, the right one.  So I have tinnitus in one ear and pulsatile tinnitus in the other.

Indeed, it is frustrating, even maddening.  I did purchase noise-isolating earphones to protect my hearing, and I've tried various masking tools, too.   Keep experimenting as I hope you find what you need for relief.

Peace--

P.
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."