Author Topic: Did your surgeon cover the hole (void) (wound) after BAHA abutment removed ?  (Read 5221 times)

lilya

Hello,
does anybody did BAHA abutment removal surgery ?   Please help

After BAHA surgery two years ago I realized I don't need Baha. My Baha site never heal, never  wear processor. And it seems worse recently. I always want to have my abutment removed.

A local surgeon I saw told me : After abutment removed,, he will not cover anything to that hole(wound).    the "hole"---I mean the void  place where the abutment used to be.     no bandage, no protective cup...etc.   He will only apply antibiotic ointment.  I'm concerned the void(wound) get dust on the way from his clinic  office to my home.   But he insisted the antibiotic ointment will protect the void wound.

Could anybody tell me do you remember if your surgeon covered the hole or not ? or do you know other patients   or what other  surgeons do to that wound void?   

Lily                                                                                                                                                                                             
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:00:09 pm by lilya »

Paul F

Re: Did your surgeon cover the hole after BAHA abutment removed ?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 07:07:13 pm »
Had mine removed a little over a year ago I think.  Was having problems with infections and the analog receiver.  No problems now.  The posts have not grown over yet, some day I wish they would.  I am going by the term abutment is the screw from the processor to the implant.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
I have no issues with my BAHA - either the processor (Cochlear BP100) or my implant site, so I don't have firsthand experience in "removal".

But from what I know from conversations with my neurotologist (did my AN surgery and my BAHA implant surgery), it's normal procedure to unscrew the abutment from the top of the titanium rod (sunk into the skull) and then just let the skin grow over it. 

Unscrewing of the abutment can be done in the office; it only takes a screwdriver.  Some docs might want to do it as an outpatient procedure though; since some docs don't think their office is sterile enough.

Normally no dressing, cap, etc., is placed over the "wound".  Antibiotic ointment - bacitracin, neosporin, polysporin, etc., - is usually recommended to promote healing and prevent infection.

Jan
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:03:18 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lilya

Paul~
Yes.    (google image: BAHA abutment)
 BAHA   =    processor   +   abutment    +    implant

I recently saw some worse cases  on BAHA support forum.   Even  new skin grew over fast and smoothly (in a couple days),  got  weeping and infection on the BAHA site after 18 month abutment removal.

My concern is after abutment removed,   implant will be exposed ,   implant could get Polluted before new skin grow over it completely.       I feel this "pollution"  maybe the cause of future Infection after  abutment removed and infection even  after new skin grow over it completely.   

Do you remember after your abutment removal surgery,   if your surgeon didn't cover anything onto your  wound,  how you got home ?  Wouldn't dust adhere onto the wound on the way home ?
Did you shampoo  the next day ?
Now Your skin doesn't grow over the  implant completely or your skin doesn't grow over the  implant   at all ?
I'm worrying.

Lily