Author Topic: Cognitive Deficits - #1 Concern  (Read 3301 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Cognitive Deficits - #1 Concern
« on: November 22, 2013, 08:52:13 am »
Hello All,

Those of you who've been on the forum for a while probably remember me as the mouthy guy that ticked off more than a few members with my unfiltered brand of straight talk..! Anyway, I came back to update you all on something that had me really concerned after my surgery back in July ’09.

One of my greatest fears as a new AN patient was I would suffer cognitive deficit's as a result of the surgery to remove a 5cm x 5cm AN from behind my left ear. Well, I'm happy to say I disproved those fears by writing a book that has been published. In total I've written six books since my surgery, with the sixth a few months from publication. Oh, and I’m still working the same very full-time job, traveling weekly as always!

I recall reading many posts written by forum members that told of significant pain, pain the member(s) described as debilitating. I too suffered those pains and even today four plus years later, continue to have bouts of pain localized to the area where my tumor once lived! Point is, despite that pain and all the other deficits we all know too well, you can do anything you set your mind to, I’d like to think I’m proof of that.

That’s it, I’ll leave it at that...wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!  ;)

Link to my last book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008E7SJ5E?ie=UTF8&tag=frebd-20
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:13:12 pm by DocB »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: Cognitive Deficits - #1 Concern
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 01:46:54 pm »
Congratulations Doc! I'm very happy for you! You seem to be recovering well and have a no nonsense attitude (that is very helpful to recovery). Good for you!

However, all results are different with different circumstances and very different variables going in.  Brain surgery has different outcomes for different people, that is why this website is so popular because it allows those of us with differing outcomes to compare and contrast with one another and tell our stories in the hope that it helps those who read it.

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the Holiday Season!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

It is what it is

Re: Cognitive Deficits - #1 Concern
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 10:11:56 am »
Congratulations on your books, healing and life.  :)
Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.