Author Topic: Shingles anyone?  (Read 5568 times)

Mickey

Shingles anyone?
« on: November 10, 2013, 09:44:08 am »
Just developed a case of shingles over the past week. It really picked up my tinnitus a notch. I have been taking a drug called acyclovir, pills + cream. It`s been almost a week now and am finally feeling back to normal... Tinnitus is so sensitive to alot of things!  Feeling good, Best wishes, Mickey

Nannybee

Re: Shingles anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 02:23:34 pm »
One of my colleagues had a bad case of shingles and ended up with Bells Palsy as a result of the nerve irritation. He also has more sensitivity to noise in the affected ear. Shingles can be nasty. Glad you're feeling back to yourself.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:24:23 am »
I've always wondered why the condition was called shingles because it didn't really conjure up roofing materials.

So I looked it up.

The etymology of shingles is Middle English schingles, by folk etymology from Medieval Latin cingulus, from Latin cingulum: girdle.

Apparently because the rash occurs around a person's middle.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 12:39:16 pm »
Apparently, it is quite painful and it's no joke! If you had Chicken Pox as a child, you stand a good chance of developing shingles again in later life. My late father in law had them in his 70's my mother in law had them recently, they are not fatal but can be extremely painful. I had Chicken Pox when I was 10. Believe me, I am not looking forward to it.

The news that it aggravates tinnitus is something I look forward to with trepidation. I hope that you experience relief soon. ::) :o

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

clere

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 03:24:42 pm »
Ask your doctor for the shingles immunization. I had asked for the shot in my early 50s because I knew people who had had it and because my sister said her physician suggested it.  I was told I was too young, should wait until 60. Then I got shingles about 5 years ago, asked for the shot again and was told to wait.  When I turned 60 I asked again and was told "they" had changed the guidelines to 65 and that since I had already had it once it was "very unlikely" I would get it again.  About 3 months later I got it again.  This time a different doctor at walk in clinic instructed me to "get the shot as soon as it clears up".  Got it, done. Guess it depends on who you talk to and another lesson that we have to be our own best advocates.

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 06:06:39 pm »
My best opinion of this is to get immunized... If you don`t, be on the lookout and nip the first symptoms in the bud... Fortunately the person I showed new what is was that I had.  I ran to the Drs. and took the medicine immediately. I don`t know why my tinnitus kicked up a notch but I`m sure anything that affect your nerves may have something to do with it. Pretty much back to my normal, Thank you, Best wishes, Mickey

Nannybee

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:50:04 am »
The zoster vaccine is approved in the US for ages 50 and over. If your insurance doesn't cover the cost, it is very expensive...around $200. (Albeit, worth it) Yes, you can get shingles more than once and yes, you can get the vaccine even if you have had shingles in the past. I've had many shingles patients and it can occur anywhere on the body. The distinguishing feature of shingles is that it does not cross the midline of the body, so it will only be on one side. I agree with Mickey, get to a medical provider ASAP if you have symptoms or are not sure. Anti-virals are most effective when started in the first 72 hours of symptoms.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 01:33:07 pm »
Have had numerous outbreaks over past ten years and was also told too young to vacinate. The pain is odd. A burning itch that is too deep to scratch is best I can do. I noticed Walgreens had a sign outfront for vacination. May check it out. Acyclovir usully works in 2-3 days to calm it for me.
wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery