Author Topic: AN Diagnosed on my left brain - inputs needed  (Read 7943 times)

vthiru1

Re: AN Diagnosed on my left brain - inputs needed
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 11:35:40 pm »
Hello All,

Here am writing after my surgery. Yes it was successful and they have removed the tumor completely and preserved my facial nerve. I have lost hearing on my left ear, but getting used to it. Also, I have a blood clot on my Sinus vein and thats not affecting me at all. Am currently on blood thinning meds(Warfarin) for that and it may continue for 3-4 months. Overall really happy. Still have some dizziness and balancing issues. Am doing my part my walking daily around 2-3 miles and slight excercising. Please advice me of any other activities I can do to improve my balancing and dizziness. Thanks all for your prayers and wishes

luke_simmo

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 10:37:40 am »
Great to hear you are doing well, Vivek!

I was lucky enough to have vestibular rehabilitation available post-surgery. This involved three sessions where the therapist tested my balance under various situations as well as visual tests. At the end of each session she gave me exercises -- things like standing on a pillow with my eyes closed (for balance) and staring at a picture on the wall while moving my head from side to side (for vision). I'm not sure how useful these sessions were as my balance was pretty good after surgery, but they sure didn't hurt!

I feel like walking was the best thing for me -- so keep that up!

Hope the blood clot clears up soon.

Take care,

Luke
3+ cm AN diagnosed 7/30/13
Tanslab procedure 8/30/13 at UW-Madison with Dr. Gubbels and Dr. Baskaya.
No complications, feeling great!
SSD -- currently working to get coverage for a SoundBite device.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 02:51:11 pm »
Hi, Vivek ~

Just wanted to offer my congratulations on your successful AN surgery.  We appreciate those members who keep us updated, as that is an encouragement for other AN patients.

Walking as much as possible - especially on uneven terrain - and basically doing things that are a bit challenging are how I regained my normalcy, post-op.  Fatigue may be a factor so don't overdo it - but don't stop trying, either.  We're with you!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Gloria Nailor

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 06:21:24 pm »
I am so happy for you and that the surgery is behind you.  I am so glad your facial nerve is intact! I am amazed that you are walking 2-3 miles a day, you are doing amazingly well.  I have been thinking of you.  Make sure you don't push yourself too hard, be sure to rest, take care.
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK

vthiru1

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 05:39:34 pm »
Freinds,

Just an update ..am recovering really well..My blood INR went to 5.8 today, which is very high and the doctor has advised me to hold off on warfarin for couple of days..am not doing my walking for last 3-4 days due to snow and cold storm..bought the bosu home trainer for balancing, which I believe will help me a lot with my balancing..just have a question..my incision is healing fast, but am kind of having a stiff/hardness around the incision, when I turn my neck to the opposite direction? Is this normal as the wound is healing or something to concern about? Please share ur experiences

Thanks,
Vivek

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 01:56:43 pm »
Freinds,

Just an update ..am recovering really well..My blood INR went to 5.8 today, which is very high and the doctor has advised me to hold off on warfarin for couple of days..am not doing my walking for last 3-4 days due to snow and cold storm..bought the bosu home trainer for balancing, which I believe will help me a lot with my balancing..just have a question..my incision is healing fast, but am kind of having a stiff/hardness around the incision, when I turn my neck to the opposite direction? Is this normal as the wound is healing or something to concern about? Please share ur experiences

V ~

Thanks for the update!

The 'hardening' sounds like normal healing but I would suggest asking your doctor about it to get a credible medical opinion.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Gloria Nailor

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 07:10:42 pm »
Hello Vivek! glad to hear things continue to go well.  I remember a tightness around my incision too.  I wouldn't worry unless it felt more tender than it has been feeling or it was red and felt warm. Good to check with the doctor though. It does get better with time, can't even feel mine when I turn my head now. Be well, Gloria
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK

luke_simmo

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 11:02:51 am »
Just noticed another thread in the Post-Treatment section on exactly this topic:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=19468.0

Sounds like it is normal.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:37:16 pm by Jim Scott »
3+ cm AN diagnosed 7/30/13
Tanslab procedure 8/30/13 at UW-Madison with Dr. Gubbels and Dr. Baskaya.
No complications, feeling great!
SSD -- currently working to get coverage for a SoundBite device.