Author Topic: Tinnitus caused by MRI???????  (Read 24041 times)

sandyinwisconsin

Tinnitus caused by MRI???????
« on: November 03, 2013, 12:25:08 pm »
I had on MRI on Halloween, and since then, my tinnitus is really loud and constant.

Has anyone else had this happen? 

Sandy
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

Echo

Re: Tinnitus caused by MRI???????
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:42:43 pm »
Hi Sandy,

Yes, my tinnitus which is usually not to bad, can sometimes get worse after an MRI.  It becomes louder and usually reverts back to it's normal level within 3 or 4 hours.   I try and use good ear plugs which does help.

Just a side note regarding MRI's - I posted a question quite a while ago. I had experienced terrible pressure within my head towards the end of one of my first MRI's and wondered if anyone else had that experience.  Know one here could explain where the pressure feeling would come from.  I had a follow up MRI and questioned the tech about it.  She asked me where I usually put my arms.  I told her I like to clasp my hands over my stomach.  She said clasping my hands would cause "arching" which may have been the cause, and recommended keeping my hands at my sides.  Since doing this I've not had any issues with pressure in my head during MRI's.

Hope your tinnitus calms down for you.
Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

maxine

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:20:17 am »
Hi,

I too have noticed my tinnitus gets worse for about a week after each MRI. Then it seems to revert to its usual status.  Hope yours also improves,

Maxine

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 02:31:01 pm »
Never had any problems from an MRI. Tinnitus is a faulty circuit in your brain. Try this...stare straight ahead, then move your eyes to the left, then the right, up and down. You will notice that your tinnitus will change just by moving your eyes. No outside influence! I am SSD but still have tinnitus in my right ear that was removed.

WiscWahe

• Wait and watch ...
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:21:20 pm »
Do you use ear plugs in the MRI.  I have only done two to date.  The first one, no plugs and annoying. But I don't remember an increase in the tinnitus.  The one I had three weeks ago I used plugs and it did not bother me as much.
---------------------------------------
3mm AN Growth Detected May 2013
No growth as of Nov 2013
Significant hearing loss in Non-AN Ear
W&W bit considering Middle Fossa

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 03:34:38 pm »
Personally have had no issues with MRIs and tinnitus.

I've had several MRIs - pre and post AN surgery - and still don't have tinnitus.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 01:50:12 pm »
Before my AN surgery the tinnitus was so bad it accually hurt. After the surgery it is still there but under control.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

rfontones

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 09:14:59 am »
I HAD 2 MRI'S DONE- OCT 6TH AND 7TH OF 2016, AFTER THE 2ND MRI - I'VE HAD LOUD RINGING IN MY EARS  EVER SINCE- I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT DAY, AS I WALKED TO MY CAR, I REALIZED I WAS SCREWED!

ralph f.

I had on MRI on Halloween, and since then, my tinnitus is really loud and constant.

Has anyone else had this happen? 

Sandy

welshexport

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 12:57:47 am »
MRI's caused my TINNIUS
I had two MRI's in 2008 and I walked away from that hospital with a fullness in my head like I've never experienced before and have had tinnitus ever since. I suffer from PsA of the spine as well as other joints this was the reason for the MRI in 2015 I ad two more MRI's and since then my Tinnitus is classed as chronic with no earing loss but trying to get a Doctor to admit that MRI's are the cause is a non starter. Then last year I started getting headaches and was told I needed an MRI of the brain it came back clear but the Tinnitus is Ten times worse I am sorry to say this but I have contacted the euthanasia in Netherlands for foreigners, I live in Germany MRI machines have ruined my life and they should come with a warning and the effects of Tinnitus should be spelt out as far as I am concerned it is a disease of the brain nothing cancels it out.