Author Topic: Buzzing noise in one ear  (Read 47189 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Buzzing noise in one ear
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 12:33:47 pm »
I have thought about getting an MRI done, but I was worried about the adverse effects it may have on me.

Excuse my intrusion but an MRI does not employ radiation so what adverse effect do you fear the MRI scan may have on you?

The only issue most people have with an MRI is if you are claustrophobic and that condition can be alleviated by taking a prescription sedative prior to the scan.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Paul F

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 07:36:40 pm »
Jim,
 I just recently had an MRI to check on the status of brain tumors.  Before entering the machine, they lowered some sort of device that enabled me to watch out a window.  Sort of like having a periscope.  It worked great.  Of course the noise is still a little above comfort level but we can't have everything.

ewchisek

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 12:19:33 pm »
Hi Sammy,

I was 35 at diagnosis. I am only nine months post op.  It took me about two years to finally figure out what I had..but during those two years, the symptoms were never present 100% of the time, they would come and go.
Symptoms included:
Ear pain/ache
Tooth ache
Dizziness( but not room spinning, just an odd feeling of dizziness)
Headache..but that was the least of my symptoms

I am a full time kdg teacher and have four young boys, so I chalked many of my symptoms up to stress.  I saw my dentist for several months, had a few root canals, I saw doctors for my ears, I took myself to the ER three different times..all of which they only did blood work and CT scans.
Finally, thank God, the last dr I went to ordered the MRI. And I was diagnosed almost a year ago.
Like I said, my hearing was perfect. It was mainly the symptoms above.

I don't think an MRI has negative effects on a person. 

Elizabeth

s4mmy

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 08:34:15 pm »
Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for the response back.

I guess that's the scary thing about these slow growing tumors - vague symptoms. Having said that, did you notice any negative effects of surgery? For example, facial paralysis?

Also, which of your mentioned symptoms prompted you to go to the ER? Must have been severe to resort to that route.

I know it's a lot to ask, but what did your earache feel like? Sharp pain? Or more pain during movement?

I think my tinnitus is in both ears. The sounds I hear are different though. Also, I notice very subtle cracking noises when I open and close my jaw. I'm hoping that I have TMJ, that is slightly aggravated  due to my current Invisalgin treatment. My jaw also popped pretty painfully a few days ago.

I'm also scared of Neurofibromatosis type 2 (I think that's how it's spelt).

I'll probably do an MRI down the road, but I have a history of going for several different type of tests, due to my immense fear of some underlying medical condition.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:37:21 pm by s4mmy »

Imcamodchick88

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 02:28:36 am »
Sammy,

I agree with the suggestion to get an MRI. That's how mine was ultimately diagnosed. However, if the tinnitus is the majority of your problems, there are some over the counter pills that worked well for some people I know without acoustic neuromas (I don't know of anyone with an acoustic nueromas who tried them.) The one I know of for sure is called lipo-flavonoid, but I'm sure there are others. Also, I think some walmarts have audiologists that give free consultations, not sure.

I had tinnitus and deafness in one ear. I've always had migraines and been a klutz, so no one could determine if that came from my acoustic nueroma or not. I had no pain in my ear, no fullness, nothing like that. But I noticed mine from like of normal sound, which was covered by the tinnitus instead.
2.8-cm AN removed by translab on 12/23/11 at UTSW
Dr. Issacson and Dr. Mickey

Nannybee

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 03:58:19 pm »

I'm also scared of Neurofibromatosis type 2 (I think that's how it's spelt).

I'll probably do an MRI down the road, but I have a history of going for several different type of tests, due to my immense fear of some underlying medical condition.

Pardon me if this sounds rude, it is not intended to be, but you need to see a doctor, nurse practitioner or PA and tell them honestly about your fears. It sounds like you have been quite anxious about this and you need to have an evaluation by a professional rather than speculate what may be causing your symptoms. Only an MRI with contrast will tell for sure if you have any lesions in the brain or intra auditory canal.

You need not worry about NF2 at this point. You need a AN diagnosis first...either bilateral ANs or one AN with multiple meningiomas. Again, the MRI would show your doctor any lesions.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear