Author Topic: Dizzy? Take up ballet!  (Read 6621 times)

Tumbleweed

L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Pam Fraley

Re: Dizzy? Take up ballet!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:27:10 pm »
Very interesting!  Thanks for sharing this.
6mmx4mm a/n (left IAC)
8-9mm meningioma (right cavernous sinus)
Diagnosed 2/5/2013 MRI
Wait & Watch -  Dr. Arts, University of Michigan
MRI scheduled for 10/22/2013
No change, continue w&w, repeat MRI in 6months

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 12:27:42 pm »
I didn't take up ballet, but my husband & I did start taking west coast swing and ballroom lessons a year after my surgery...he thought it would be good vestibular therapy...almost four years later, we are still dancing every week!  Think all the spinning has helped, but even if not, it has been SO much fun!   ;D ;D  It's something I'm sure we would never have done if it weren't for my AN... :o

Thanks for sharing this, Tumbleweed!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

ampeep

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:30:03 am »
Seems like there's a lot of different things folks can do to improve balance.

During a Dec 2013 visit to my primary care physician, he asked if anything was new & I told him I have a brain tumor.  He looked shocked until I told him it was an AN.

He told me that one of his patients, an avid ballroom dancer, experienced dizziness after doing some spins.  He recommended a MRI & she turns out she had an AN (about the same size as mine).  Decided on GK and is doing well.

8/2/13 - diagnosed 1.9 CM right side; 1/13/14 - MRI it got bigger!; 2/10/14 - GK; 8/18/14 - shrinking; 8/17/15 - still shrinking, reduced symptoms

rodneyd

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:56:31 am »
Hi all,

I was diagnosed with a small (.9cm) AN in October, 2013.  My only real symptom was a worsening lack of balance.  During my consultation with Dr. Backous at Swedish Medical Center in Seattle, I mentioned that I was a square dancer and he strongly encouraged me to continue with this activity, as he believes the motion would help my brain learn to compensate for the AN as well as help with my cardiovascular health.
For most normal square dance movements, I am ok, I may stagger a bit and not move in the straight line my brain has chosen, but generally I can function properly.  However, there are a couple of moves that really get my head spinning; lots of turns in a row and moving around the square in a backwards direction are two of the worst.
Just started taking Salsa lessons so will see if that has any impact on my balance as well.
So, bottom line, dancing of any sort is probably good therapy, and a whole lot more fun than doing boring exercises.  Of course, if my imbalance starts to get dangerous for myself or the people I am dancing with, it will be time to stop, but in the meantime, hopefully my brain will have time to learn to compensate and I can continue to dance as much as I want (currently 3 - 4 times per week).

Currently on W & W.

Rod
74year old male, 8.3x7.3x6.5 mm AN on 10-28-13.  MRI on 12-30-13 showed no growth.  Imbalance issues and mild tinnitus.  MRI on July 13, 2014 showed no growth.  Still on W & W and taking baby-aspirin regimen.  MRI in July, 2016 show slow growth (1.1 cm).  MRI on July 24, 2017 was 8.2 x 8.6 x 8 mm!

staypoz

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 01:27:13 pm »
I am a Scottish Country dancer.  Following my AN surgery, my physical therapist, who was acting as a vestibular therapist, encourage me to walk the patterns of the various dances as a way to regain my equilibrium.  The patterns were ingrained and walking them was really helpful.  My knees won't allow me to do SCD anymore, but I took up step aerobics classes again -- which I had had to give up pre-AN surgery because of balance issues.  My movements may not be the most graceful, and I do have to be careful with quick moves especially, but I manage. 

staypoz

CatzEyes

• are we having fun yet?
    • Art for Art's Sake Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 08:50:58 am »
This is Reuters' current link to the story and video:

http://www.reuters.com/video/2013/10/22/dance-therapy-could-help-treat-dizziness?videoId=274247231

I have great hopes for this: I danced thousands of youthful hours away in ballet and jazz and tap lessons, and while I haven't done any chainee turns in several years, I can still perform a single passable piroutte. Maybe this long-buried skill has been retained deep in both muscles and mind? The proof will be in the pudding after surgery, I guess!
Middle Fossa surgery at Swedish, Seattle, Drs Delashaw and Bacchus, 5/5/14. Retained 98% hearing in surgical ear after 6 months recovery time.
diagnosed 3/15/14 :: 6mm x 4mm x 3mm AN in right ear.
mother diagnosed 3/2005 8mm; gamma knife 2007 at 14mm. some regrowth, pressing balance nerve, by 2012