Author Topic: Interesting Assessment  (Read 3986 times)

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
Interesting Assessment
« on: October 07, 2013, 08:33:46 pm »
Had a computerized dynamic posturography assessment today.  Kind of strange.  I should get the results at my next balance therapy visit - 10/23.  My sense was that I'm pretty unbalanced but I guess I'll wait to see what the experts say....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HT1xe4JaV7w&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHT1xe4JaV7w
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Interesting Assessment
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 01:55:32 pm »
I'm pretty unbalanced

And you have an acoustic neuroma, too.

;) ;D ::)

I guess I'll wait to see what the experts say....

Dr Howard, Dr Fine and Dr Howard will say you have a balance problem.

I fail to see why doctors send people to CDPs and VNGs after they have already been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 02:00:42 pm »
Teri,

yes, I underwent such a program in the Kessler Rehabilitation Center when it was in East Orange NJ as an outpatient (They closed that facility due to financial trouble in 2006).

Training is very extensive it retrains you to use the pads of your feet as sensory input and should sensitize you to feelings of imbalance. I found this to be extremely hard at first because I was resisting. At Kessler institute first they had me do eye rolling tests then they progressed to the CDP machine. Good luck! It is not easy! Have patience it should take a while to master. 

Mike

Vestibular training is hard, if you are like me, you too will sweat! That's a good thing! It should help to bring a change of tee shirts. I should know I soaked through quite a few of mine.
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 02:15:45 pm »
Dear Jack,

It was explained to me this way, when you have one of your balance nerves cut in the partial removal of a tumor it is traumatic, it may take an amount of time before the body adjusts to it. The good thing is that we each have two vestibular nerves, the other one is going to take some time to readjust. As you probably read above I was an outpatient at the Kessler Facility it is one of the best in the country at doing vestibular therapy. I stayed with the program for about 6 months.

I wish Teri well at one of these programs, if he is getting vestibular therapy in the CDP machine, they will train him well. You have to have a special certification to operate it. There are certain tests he will have to master before he completes training.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:09:51 am »
The director of the balance center suggested the CDP assessment because I started losing ground in the improvement I was making over the course of about a month of vestibular therapy and exercises.  I was told it was to assess whether my balance issues are from the AN or additional vestibular issues.  My personal opinion leans toward believing this is mostly a delayed reaction to the CK surgery - especially since it coincided with a constant ear pain that began at exactly 4 mos post completion of cK.
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!