Author Topic: Waiting for MRI results - not sure how I will be told (UK)  (Read 101584 times)

Derek

Re: Waiting for MRI results - not sure how I will be told (UK)
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2014, 03:56:13 pm »
Fiona...Unless I have missed some info from one of your earlier posts, NHS patients in the UK attending their GP surgery with a medical problem are usually referred by the GP to a hospital department catering for the relevant symptoms for investigation. A consultant is ultimately appointed to oversee the patient and it is the consultant who actually refers the patient for further investigation / tests including an MRI scan etc  ???
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Islandgirl

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2014, 06:08:27 pm »
When I first had problems my GP referred me to ENT who did a hearing test.  ENT said MRI because of sensorineural hearing loss and after that when my AN was discovered my results were forwarded to consultant neurologist at Southampton.  I didn't come across a consultant until the later stage and wasn't aware I had one until then.  This is the trouble it's all so bitty in the UK with no one knowing what's going on half the time, which consultant you are under and even which hospital sometimes. You end up with a consultant one way or the other.

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 03:15:25 am »
In my case the GP referred me to the hospital for an MRI and to the ENT department because he thought my problems were "something to do with the nerve".  He said at the time that he wasn't sure which appointment would come through first. I don't know how it's usually done, because this is the first time anything like this has happened to me  ???

Alison

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2014, 03:41:00 am »
Hi again Fiona/nn

As Islandgirl says, it follows no pattern! I also was referred to ENT via my GP who ordered first scan. ENT referred me to neurosurgeon who sent me to oncology for radiosurgery. I'm now waiting to see the neurosurgeon for follow up.

I never saw ENT again, but others I know are still under ENT after radiosurgery! Hopefully in your case it'll be something other than an AN .

Re the MRI CD copy palaver. Derek has a different experience again. Having been through the long wait before I took the form with ID and cheque in on the day of the scan, having got my form beforehand from the medical records dept after ringing them. I got the CD 3 days later in the post! Very quick. I had to get the radiologists report from my GP though, a week later.

As I said before your GP will have it on the system shortly after it is done and when he gets the radiologists report you'll know the outcome too.  I know this because I asked at my recent scan in Jan and was told the GP will be able to access it immediately as its on the same system. So the GP ordering it should get you a quicker response than the labyrinthine hospital referral for MRI!

When I previously had an MRI at a different hospital trust to my local hospital (the oncology hospital) my GP couldn't access it.

Complicated or what!

Alison x

CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)