Author Topic: Phorak Cros  (Read 5776 times)

WilliamS

Phorak Cros
« on: September 24, 2013, 08:14:54 am »
I am considering the Phorak Cros as my hearing device.  Are there any pros or cons that I should be aware of?  I would appreciate any tips that you have.
Bill

3.3cm
volume:  15cc
Diag:  1/18/12
GK:     3/20/12
MRI 9/12  3.0-2.8-2.5
MRI 4/13  2.8-2.9-2.3
MRI 4/14  2.7-2.7-2.2
MRI 4/16  2.6-2.2-1.9
MRI 2/20  1.7-1.5-1.2

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Phorak Cros
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 11:30:54 am »
I am considering the Phorak Cros as my hearing device.  Are there any pros or cons that I should be aware of?

Yes.

;) ;D ::)

Seriously, though, like anything else, the Phonak Cros is not perfect but it does have it's advantages.

I've had mine for about a year and a half and it's worked out well enough. It's kind of marginal for background noises in restaurants and noisy places but I imagine so is any other brand.

If you do decide to get it make sure you get the MyPilot remote control. It allows your hearing aids to be programed with a variety of features that you can change to depending on your situation.

The Phonak Cros (and other hearing aids) has been discussed here many times. You can find the discussions by using the search feature in the upper right hand corner of the page and you can get more information at Phonak's website:

http://www.phonak.com/us/b2c/en/products/hearing_instruments/cros/overview.html

One suggestion for any brand. If you wear glasses give serious consideration to Inside-The-Ear hearing aids instead of Behind-The-Ear.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Paul F

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 02:27:00 pm »
I presently use the Phonak Bi-cros and it does help.  The one I have uses the 312 battery which only lasts 2 days each.  I understand that Phonak now has a unit that uses the 30 battery which has a much longer life span.  Something to consider.  I prefer the Phonak Cros over the BAHA analog device but I haven't tried the newer digital BAHA's.

Paul

Leftie

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:34:06 am »
I have been wearing the Cros for 2 years now and really notice a lot more ability to hear in many areas.  Just in general, I hear much better from room to room, in cars, etc.  I had the Transear and I find this system so much better for me. I have SSD from acoustic neuroma 10 years ago.
If you wear glasses as posted just make sure the glass's arms are flat, my new ones are.
2.5cm acoustic neuroma removed using middle fossa approach June 2002 by Dr. Brackmann at the House Clinic in LA.
Facial paralysis resolved to facial weakness.
Also have a benign meningioma (calcified) - no treatment required, just follow-up scans.
Received Transear Feb. 25, 2008.

Texas Woodward

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 06:37:55 am »
Hi, I am in the trial period of the Phonak Audeo Q (left ear) with the Phonak Cros (right ear).  I paid $3775.  It comes with a 3 year warranty and a one-time replacement warranty should I lose it over that 3 year period (will cost $250.00 to replace).  It includes visits to the Audiologist (unlimited, but heavier in the first month and suggested every 6 months after that).  I have a 30 day trial period -- I can forego and they will retain $150.00. 

My story:  I was born deaf in my right ear, but with normal hearing in my left ear. 

About 6 weeks ago -- I suddenly got a "humming/air conditioner" noise in my head that is constant and also my "good ear" feels "stopped up" and it feels like I am hearing at the bottom of a well.  Went to ENT and had a hearing test.  Right ear is deaf and Left ear doesn't hear low frequencies very well (going to locate a hearing test from before the humming started to see if there is actually a change).  Anyway, had an MRI -- no AN.  Went on a 2 week regime of Valtrex and Prednisone -- no change.  Have had 4 injections of steroids to my left ear (through the eardrum) -- no change.  Not sure what my next step should be.  Have seen 3 ENTs and they all agree:  Don't know what caused it, but don't think the tinnitis is going to go away and don't think the hearing will return to normal. 

Hear we go:

Saw Audiologist and Ordered the Phonak Audeo Q (left ear) with the Phonak Cros (right ear)

Day1:  Hearing aides are a little uncomfortable (not use to having something lodged in my ear canal).  I talk on a cell phone often -- hearing is fine on my cell (no real change / aide or no).  Strange being able to hear other noises while I am on the phone.  Seem to hear better on my deaf (right) side.  Background noise is VERY loud (wind, shuffling, clanking, etc).

Day2:  Phonak Audeo and Phonak Cros seem to have a separate "white noise" that is present ontop of my own head "humming".  That's annoying.  Does seem to help in "one on one situations" with amplifying the sound and making it easier to hear and understand conversations (doesn't require a lot of what, huh, what did you say, I didn't hear you).  Background noise is still VERY loud (restaurants are still a nightmare -- no where close to what it use to be 6 weeks ago).  Also, went to a friends house -- had the same issue with a ceiling fan or outside on the porch with "wind".  Unimpressed.

Day3:  In the car, talking to my husband -- it's alright.  Still have another noise over my own humming -- annoying.  I can still hear him.  Also, it's taking some adjustment to hearing from my deaf side (it's kind of like information overload).  Went to another restaurant.  Can't hear conversation -- aggravating.  Heard my husband in my deaf ear / waiter in my deaf ear -- trying to have conversation with a friend in my good ear -- it was frustrating and annoying because I was getting noise ontop of noise -- it was a cacophony!  Impossible to carry on a conversation.  Waking up in the middle of the night, thinking I left the aides in -- I didn't.  Must mean my ears are getting use to having things crammed into them.  I can hear on my cell in my "bad ear" -- it sounds distant, but it's doable.  Have to hold the phone up to the "mic pick ups behind my ear".  Interesting experiment.  Still really unhappy with the crowds / restaurants performance.

I go into my Adiologist on Wednesday (Day 7) to "tweak" the program.  Will inquire about the remote control, because I agree with others it's annoying to have to fiddle with the "button" to increase / decrease volume.  Also, this thing is supposedly able to be programmed to deal with different situations -- yeah we need to figure that out ASAP -- because at this point -- it's still annoying and not worth the almost 4k.   

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 01:58:48 pm »
I tested out the same set up - my good ear was fitted with the Audeo Q70 312 - and was told it was programmed so the volume and other programs adjusted automatically.  After much tweaking my audiologist set up a program to manually adjust for watching TV.  For almost $4k you should have the slickest, best version of the Audeo Q and it should do everything automatically!  My Q70 was one grade below the best and was going to cost just under $3k. 

I personally prefer the Ponto Pro Power BAHA and am appealing my insurance company's decision to exclude coverage because they are calling it a hearing aid.  I will proceed with the Phonak BiCROS if my appeal is unsuccessful.
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 08:44:21 pm »

I go into my Adiologist on Wednesday (Day 7) to "tweak" the program.  Will inquire about the remote control, because I agree with others it's annoying to have to fiddle with the "button" to increase / decrease volume.  Also, this thing is supposedly able to be programmed to deal with different situations -- yeah we need to figure that out ASAP -- because at this point -- it's still annoying and not worth the almost 4k.   

I have the MyPilot remote control and I strongly recommend it even if it costs a few hundred dollars. It allows your hearing aids to have several separate programs that you can switch to depending on the circumstances. Get all the programs that Phonak offers. Examples are "Automatic" which really doesn't do much of anything (1 1/2 years experience talking), "Comfort in Noise", "Speech in Noise", "Music", "Echo" and there are probably more by now. The "in Noise" options help quite a bit in noisy surroundings like restaurants. Not perfect (nothing is) but still helpful.

One of the things that I have figured out for noisy restaurants is sit with your deaf ear toward the noise and then turn off the Bi Cros on that side so only the Audeo on the good ear is picking up the nearby voices that you want to hear.

Unfortunately, hearing deficits are often in the frequencies of human voice with no deficit in the frequencies of clanging dishes and tableware.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 01:31:50 pm »

Unfortunately, hearing deficits are often in the frequencies of human voice with no deficit in the frequencies of clanging dishes and tableware.

Isn't that the truth!  :o

I still would like to give the Phonak a try one of these days - did a test of it at our support group meeting last summer and found it helpful...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings