Author Topic: Dr. Rick Friedman now at USC  (Read 16468 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Dr. Rick Friedman now at USC
« on: September 11, 2013, 09:57:41 am »
I just had a lovely email back from Dr. Rick Friedman in response to my notifying him I had my records sent to him from HEI.  In part:  "If ok with you could you help spread the word about my move.  I want to make sure I continue doing what I love to do best.  The setting at USC is much more patient centric with all options including a wonderful team and all treatment approaches."

I will be forever grateful for the care I received at House Ear Clinic, but I am also excited for Dr. Friedman's new opportunities at USC.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

iluuvpups

Re: Dr. Rick Friedman now at USC
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:28:29 pm »
Thanks for the update, Clarice.  I thought I saw mention of this in a recent ANA newsletter; the one about the LA symposium.  Did he say he'd still review your slides?  I agree that he's wonderful!
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 11:08:13 pm »
I agree that Dr. Friedman is wonderful. Hands down. I am very proud of him moving up in the AN world. He is a very kind and smart man. I am very grateful for the people at House as well. I am torn because I do want to follow my Dr. but I a also do not want to leave Dr. Schwartz. I understand Dr. Friedman has a wonderful team at USC, but I feel that once I do transfer my records to Dr. Friedman that I will be leaving Dr. Schwartz behind. I have not been able to make that decision just yet. I really don't know what to do.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 09:17:37 am »
First of all ..... yes, Dr. Friedman will continue to do free evaluations from his position at USC.

Secondly ..... I can appreciate the angst related to whether to stay with Dr. Friedman or stay with House ..... I went through the same thing, because Dr. Schwartz is so excellent at what he does.  I talked with Dr. Friedman at length during the ANA Symposium just before his move.  He expressed that he and Dr. Niparko (also now at USC, formerly at Johns Hopkins) were both hoping Dr. Schwartz would join them at USC.  Plus, he said that Dr. Steven Giannotta (neurosurgeon at USC) is tops in his field (see http://keck.usc.edu/en/Education/Academic_Department_and_Divisions/Department_of_Neurological_Surgery.aspx ) and he had complete faith in his skills in acoustic neuroma removals.  The additional plus is that Dr. Giannotta also utilizes both cyberknife and gamma knife so there is a more open atmosphere to treatment options.

My next MRI is next week and I pray that the "smidgen of something" that was there last year is gone or at least not growing!  If not, I may need to make another trip to California.   :)

Clarice

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 08:03:38 am »
Clarice
Thank you for the information. I will have to stew on it. I sure was hoping Dr. Schwartz was going make the move. He has his reasons I'm sure.

Oh, I do hope you someday make another trip to California, but for a whole different reason like.....Disneyland  ;D Please keep us posted on your MRI results. I will be thinking of you. I need to get my behind in for my yearly MRI. I'm trying to hold out till the beginning of next year. Deductible reasons....  :)
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Little_Bear

• Be extraordinary
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 07:58:22 pm »
Hello,

I thought I'd just chime in, I followed Dr. Friedman to USC for my Middle Fossa surgery which I had just a couple weeks ago 12/10/13, of which I'm very glad I did. The surgery was a complete success, everything was preserved 100% and the tumor was removed completely! Dr. Giannotta, a fantastic surgeon, is very knowledgable, personable and after meeting with him I had no doubt I made the right decision. I hope down the road people follow Dr. Friedman to USC, utilizing the new AN center and what they have to offer.

-Frankie

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 08:29:36 am »
Frankie .....

So glad you posted this ..... and congratulations on a successful AN removal!

Clarice

Bobthebuilder

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:22:34 am »
Just read the post by Frankie, so glad the hear his good report and pray for continued strength and recovery for him. 

I am interested in exploring Frankie's comment regarding Dr. Giannotta.  His bio seems to indicate that while he has done many AN surgeries, most of them were in days gone by.  To be fair, he has been on the team for several hundred AN surgeries, but of late he has focused on other types of tumors.  My concern is not that he is in any way less than great, but Dr. Friedman and Schwartz were a team for quite some time.  Wish I knew how important it is that the team has worked together for a while.  My diagnosis was made about five months ago and I am at the point of setting a date either with house or at keck.  Frankie mentioned that Keck has a lot to offer, how would that differ from House? House says that they have the treatment processes down to a science, that their entire team has worked together for so long that even the nursing staff plays a role in their success percentages.  For the record, both institutions and doctors have been very professional in describing their attributes without alleging anything negative toward the other.  To be honest I would like for one or the other to step up and tell me why they are the better place for me (when compared to the other).  I understand the legal implication, but still wish they could say, "we have this, they don't".

If I go to House, I would be treated by Dr. Slattery & Schwartz.  There is some possibility that Schwartz could be a part of the team at Keck (this would have to be approved by Keck, but I've been told it would be) on the other hand how important is it that a surgeon perform in familiar surroundings, using instruments he normally uses.  I guess I'm being a little over cautious, I just don't want to get in early on polishing a new team.

For the record, my AN is 2.3 cm, left ear (all the way out at the end of the auditory canal)  I've lost about 40% hearing, I would still like to retain what is left, but both Dr's. Are leaning toward Translab.  Dr. Friedman did say he could possibly use one of the other approaches, but thinks I would have headaches and may still lose the hearing.

I've looked into GK but have not been able to get a straight answer to my questions regarding reversal of current symptoms.  I have a problem understanding why symptoms will subside if the tumor continues to apply pressure to the nerves.  Dr. Lundsford at Pittsburg says I'm an excellent candidate, I take that to mean that the tumor will be treated and will possibly die, but will not necessarily reduce in size (and may actually swell thus applying additional pressure to the nerves).  I went for a face to face consultation, but most of the time was spent with another Dr., I failed to ask a couple of things and tried to reach Dr. Lundsford via email and phone, the team member who called me back, was not able to say one way or another that taste could return, burning mouth and lips could return to normal, that numbness in the lower left portion of my face could improve, etc.  Why would it be successful if the treatment destroyed the tumor, but the symptoms continued?

Any thoughts which could enlighten me, thus help me move ahead with treatment would be greatly appreciated.

rupert

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 07:42:56 pm »
   Unfortunately there is no way for anyone to predict symptoms after any of the treatment procedures.  They may lessen, stay the same or get worse.  All of the symptoms you describe have been related to AN's before and after treatment . Every person will have different results and outcomes. The reality with AN's is that you will probably lose hearing regardless of treatment , either by , surgery, radio or watch and wait. The hearing and balance nerves, when damaged cannot repair themselves. The facial nerve will stretch somewhat and facial problems can be minor or severe and can come and go.  Taste can also come and go. 
   In my instance I lost most usable hearing before treatment. (GK)  I had taste issues that resolved before treatment and haven't come back.  I also had some minor facial issues which stopped after treatment.
   Lots of info here on this forum.  Good luck to you.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 08:57:37 pm »
Great questions. I know I had many questions when making my decision. I believe surgery would be best when it comes to trigeminal issues. I had Friedman/Schwartz. Both very very good. The final decision is yours & considering all options is wise.

newan1

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 07:42:11 pm »
Hello Folks,

I have been diagnosed with AN recently. In the process of interviewing doctors.

Do you know what are the numbers for Dr Friedman's neurosurgeon? How many AN surgery
he has done?

Thanks,

Ray

JWW

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 08:56:30 pm »
I am checking out doctors for a friend of mine that is having surgery on 2/19/2014.
Have any of you heard about Dr. Michael W. Mc Dermott (neurosurgeon) and Dr. Steven Cheung (neuro/otologist/surgeon) at UCSF? He is having trouble getting them to respond with questions and concerns he has regarding his surgery. They scheduled him the day before the surgery for his Q & A......not good.

Thanks,
JWW

rbc892

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 03:29:15 pm »
I was diagnosed on March 6, 2014 "incidently" and have seen a neurosurgeon at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. I would like to send my MRI results and audiogram to Dr. Friedman at Keck, but I cannot find out how to do that on the website. Can anyone help with how I get a free concultation. I have already sent my info to Dr. Schwartz at House.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 06:01:22 am »
For a free consultation by Dr. Friedman at USC, see:  http://acousticneuroma.keckmedicine.org/educating-patients/free-consultation/

I would specifically ask for Dr. Friedman to review it.  To my knowledge, he usually has a neurosurgeon review it, as well ..... especially if he wants a second opinion of it before calling you.  He is very prompt in replying, once he has received your materials (e.g. most recent MRI, audiogram, brief history, etc.).

In the meantime, see: "For more information about having patient records reviewed at no cost, please call (323) 442-4827."

Let us know what you decide.

Clarice

Heresrose

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 08:44:35 am »
Bobthebuilder,

It is good that you have a lot of questions and I hope you get them answered. Have you tried Dr. Chang at Stanford? I have been very impressed with his quick responses to my emails. I don't know how he does it! It is refreshing to get a quick response from a physician. If you do a search of his name here you'll find him as well as an audio interview with him which I must admit sealed the deal for me. I'm meeting him today and having Cyberknife this week.

Hi Clarice! I'll never forget how supportive you were to me nearly three years ago when I started down this road. I had my records transferred to USC and I met with Friedman a few weeks ago to discuss my MRI. I didn't do it out of loyalty but because he is intimately familiar with my case (he's been in my head, after all!) and UCS is a provider with my insurance- House is not.

I was somewhat surprised that the person who was most against radiation when I was first diagnosed was now all for it and wanted me to do GK at USC. I went with my gut and will do CK at Stanford.

Wish me luck!

Rose
3.2 x 2.1 x 1.5 partially removed via Translab on 11/28/11 w/Friedman & Schwartz of HEI, SSD, facial nerve intact but have facial paralysis and synkenisis.
3/4/14 MRI shows 3mm AN growth.
AN now is 1.7cm
4/11/14 CK Stanford with Drs. Chang and Gibbs