Author Topic: falls  (Read 4179 times)

Karen

falls
« on: September 08, 2013, 03:43:10 pm »
it,s been 10 years since my
AN surgery.  I don,t have a balance nerve on that side now.  I  still fall every so ofter.  it doesn,t take much to get me off balance.  Last fall was on my  bike. so tired of being careful and still falling!!!!  anyone else in the same boat?   Any ideas on what to do  i have already had vesticular traing several years ago,   
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

nftwoed

Re: falls
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:31:41 pm »
Hello;

Well, if you haven't, try a handlebar mirror on your bike. Depending upon one's sensitivity, there may not be much looking around. Wear a helmet! I've heard a bike w/o suspension is best. One less variable of motion.
   Don't walk in complete darkness, use a cane if necessary, make sure you eyes are checked regularly ( bifocals will cause an image/power jump ) and remember,  SSD 'does' affect balance.
   Is it possible to have another ENG to check the condition of the only, and compensating ear?
   Keep your expectations reasonable considering your condition. No one is unaffected by losing the vestibular apparatus of an ear. Some do compensate better, however.
   I believe, and was told by a PT that physical activity was as good as VRT. Dr's advice was to "keep moving". EG. Walking slowly is more difficult than walking deliberately.
   Best wishes in all!

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:36:54 pm »
Karen

You state that you have had vestibular therapy.  Are you still doing the exercises that they taught you?  I just finished the therapy and was told that to maintain you have to keep doing the exercises.  Your brain will forget what you learned if you don't.

Like you my balance was horrible, but know I am much more stable.

TJ

NancyT

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 10:13:35 pm »
Karen,

I notice a difference with my balance when I'm turning my head a lot.  For example, I recently went to an art museum.  I was continually moving my head from side to side looking at different art pieces.  In no time, I was stumbling around and could hardly walk.  So maybe pay attention when you are biking whether you are moving your head a lot from side to side.  Possible bike on paths where you don't have to look around so much?  It makes a huge difference for my balance issues.
2.0 x 2.4 cm AN
Middle Fossa @ University of Iowa Hospital March, 2012
50% hearing loss, some facial paralysis, some balance issues

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:53:04 pm »
Karen

You state that you have had vestibular therapy.  Are you still doing the exercises that they taught you?  I just finished the therapy and was told that to maintain you have to keep doing the exercises.  Your brain will forget what you learned if you don't.

Like you my balance was horrible, but know I am much more stable.

TJ

I started balance therapy on July 1 and in nearly two months I've experienced huge improvement in my balance. My wife used to say that I looked like a drunken sailor walking down the hall. Now she comments on how straight I walk. I still have to steady myself when I get up in the middle of the night, but generally, my balance is nearly back to normal. I, too, was told by my PT to continue the therapy exercises. In fact, she told me how to amp them up and gave me no "you're done" date. So I'm with TJ. If you remember those exercises, start 'em up again. If you don't remember them, I would think it'd be a good idea to go back. I paid less than $200 (on Social Security - i.e. no insurance). I'd do it again.
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change