Author Topic: EXPOSURE TO CHEMICALS/RADIATION  (Read 7828 times)

1Cowboy7

EXPOSURE TO CHEMICALS/RADIATION
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:50:08 pm »
Hello,
I'm a 47 man, retired military. About 1 1/2 years ago I was informed that I have Facial Nerve Tumor. I was told it was about 2X the size of a pea, which I think is 8mm. The only problem I have had so far is losing 75% of my hearing in my right ear. My hearing is about the same as when I first discovered I had it. I am wondering if I got it from being exposed to depleted uranium or contaminated ground water (benzene, trichloroethylene, tetrachloroethylene, vinyl chloride), which I was informed I was exposed back in 1987-1988. The depleted uranium could have been from Afghanistan in Nov-Dec of 2001. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Thanks
Mike

Imcamodchick88

Re: EXPOSURE TO CHEMICALS/RADIATION
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:08:01 pm »
Speaking from a chemistry only background,the chenicals you listed for the groundwater are not radioactive and should not cause tumors. The uranium should not either, although it is radioactive, because of the normally used levels. Also it normally takes years to effect I believe.
2.8-cm AN removed by translab on 12/23/11 at UTSW
Dr. Issacson and Dr. Mickey

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 07:16:40 am »
All of the chemicals listed are suspected of causing cancer, and depleted uranium is also linked with cancer.
All of these things however are relatively safe unless you were exposed to an awful lot.
Most of the cancers caused by these substances tend to be linked to kidneys, liver, bowel, lung, leukemia etc.

These are also the most likely places things like Depleted uranium would settle or tetrachlorethylene, benzene etc. would be absorbed/filtered

Nobody can prove or disprove whether your AN was caused by these things or not.

Sometimes things just happen...

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:18:25 am »
Hi 1Cowboy7 .....

At this point in time, the only known causal relationship for developing an acoustic neuroma is large doses of ionizing radiation.  Ionizing radiation also increases the risk of other brain tumors, such as meningiomas or gliomas.  Keep in mind this is very large doses, not normal, casual exposure.  I know nothing about groundwater chemicals.

I had large doses of radium treatments to my naso-pharyngeal area as a child.  50 years later I turned up with an acoustic neuroma.

There is a large study just beginning at Yale on causes of ANs.  See the anausa.org home page for more info. 

"Dr. Elizabeth B. Claus from Yale University launched the collection of data from acoustic neuroma patients at our National Symposium in Los Angeles to initiate the first AN causation research study of this type. The goal of the study is to determine whether or not there are possible genetic risk factors that cause an AN."

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sandyinwisconsin

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 06:43:58 pm »
I worry too about where my AN came from.

I was erasing around 150 videotapes a year from 2003 to 2009 with a handheld magnetic electronic eraser.  I found an article talking about handheld magnetic erasers causing breast cancer.  The EMFs could have gone from my hand up my arm into my ear.  My AN was 2.4 mm in 2007. 

I see several people got meningiomas from erasing tapes and filed lawsuits.

I also was exposed to broken mercury light bulbs on two different occasions.

Sandy

1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 07:06:05 pm »
I, too, am convinced my AN and some parathyroid adenomas were caused by X-ray treatment to my tonsils in the early to mid 1950s.  But there is nothing I can do about it, nobody to blame for it, what's done is done.  I personally do not want to be worried or stressed about things I have no control over.
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

sandyinwisconsin

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 06:02:01 pm »
I know there is a doctor at Yale who is studying causes.  I could give her a few ideas.

I wonder if its a reaction to mercury.  We all had mercury fillings.  Around 10 years ago, my dentist pulled out my mercury fillings and replaced them.

I had 2 mercury light bulbs break over my head. 

Plus most of us get flu shots which are full of mercury. 

Sandy
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

Nannybee

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 09:11:17 am »
I had thyroid cancer and have 3 meningiomas in addition to my AN. My best friend/neighbor from childhood also developed a brain tumor in her early 50s. Yet my sister or my friend's brother did not. We all played in the same places, drank the same water, went to school in the same building and so on.
I don't think it's as simple as exposure to any substance, but a combination of factors that lead to the development of tumors in some but not others.
Millions of people have mercury fillings and get vaccines, yet only a rare few develop ANs. Undoubtedly, much more research needs to be done before we can say for certain what causes these to occur.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

sandyinwisconsin

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 07:38:11 pm »
NancyBee,

Yep - I agree with you.  I do think that some people, not all, are affected by certain chemicals, etc.  For instance, my neighbor died of Lou Gehrings, and supposedly that comes from fertilizer.  Well her husband coincidentally fertilizes every week and still does.   

There has got to be some link to this disease.  I also came down with tons of warts in my 20's.  They were on my feet, hands, and flat warts were on my face.  They showed up out of no where.  I kind of think these AN's are like warts.  Kind of similar in description.   It could be something viral that went through my body back then.

Sandy

Imcamodchick88

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 01:39:53 am »
Just to be the contradicting one, I have never had any exposure to mercury, fillings or otherwise, besides a thermometer break this year. Well and the thimerosal in flu shots. However, people used to play with mercury and ans weren't everywhere then.

I also want to say my brother, nor anyone else, has an an, in my family. We all lived in one spot. I even went to college relatively close. However, I developed one. I am a chem major and work with tons of chemicals, but it shouldn't have that fast of an effect (plus I'm safe while working.)

There has to be something. My doctor was told me mine had been growing for 8-10 years. That's since I was 12-14. My response was "man, I guess my music did ruin my hearing!" (I was kidding, being a musician I never listened to my music that loud with headphones)

Anywho, I wish we could find a cause. Cause a cause means prevention. And prevention means less people having to struggle.
2.8-cm AN removed by translab on 12/23/11 at UTSW
Dr. Issacson and Dr. Mickey

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 11:35:50 pm »
As my surgeon put it "If I knew the cause for the AN to happen, I would be a Nobel laureate."  ;D
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co