Author Topic: Wiped Out!  (Read 5842 times)

Nannybee

Wiped Out!
« on: August 06, 2013, 03:32:32 pm »
Whew, I had balance testing this morning and that did me in for the day! VT starts later this week, guessing I should schedule it for later in the day if I'm going to feel like this after every session.

Walking while turning my head side to side was the worst. Knowing this causes me problems, I instinctively avoid doing it and have unconsciously started moving my whole upper body instead of just my head. When the therapist had me move just my head when walking, boom! into the wall I went.

Tell me it gets better with challenging the vestibular system with therapy.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

Echo

Re: Wiped Out!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 11:00:49 am »
I'm right there with you Nannybee!  I'm 5 weeks away from having my Gamma Knife treatment but I've started by VT Rehab.  I've had two sessions already and can tell you it's challenging and exhausting.  I have a series of exercises to do 5 times a day.  I manage 4 times most days, it's hard fitting it in when you have to work.  Some days I end up totally queasy after doing the exercises.  I have one exercise where you put a large letter 'A' on a sticky note, stick it on a wall eye level, back up 10 or more feet and then start moving your head side to side while keeping the 'A' still and clear.  Some days it works well, other days the 'A' bounces continually and I have to keep stopping and starting over.  The bouncing really drives me crazy!   

I don't suspect VT Therapy provides quick results, but as long as there is improvement over the long haul I'll stick with it. Just thought you'd like to know there's someone else starting this process of rehab with you. 

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Chances3

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 11:19:48 am »
Hi Gals,

I am 3 years post op.  I had a slow and sluggish recovery, so my surgeon had me in VT about 3 months after surgery.  It did help and I would encourage you to continue the exercises at home as well on a daily basis.  Get outside and walk around that is very helpful.  Having said all of that, I want to tell you, it does get better, but it takes time, and each one of us have a different recovery time.  Hang in there and don't quit !!!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:05:43 am by Chances3 »

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:57:43 pm »
Hi;

Though mostly for bilaterals, I can grasp the "sticky note with an 'A' exercise. Those with  a loss of balance tend to lose eyesight when moving their heads.
   http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/practice/dynvisual.html

I'm right there with you Nannybee!  I'm 5 weeks away from having my Gamma Knife treatment but I've started by VT Rehab.  I've had two sessions already and can tell you it's challenging and exhausting.  I have a series of exercises to do 5 times a day.  I manage 4 times most days, it's hard fitting it in when you have to work.  Some days I end up totally queasy after doing the exercises.  I have one exercise where you put a large letter 'A' on a sticky note, stick it on a wall eye level, back up 10 or more feet and then start moving your head side to side while keeping the 'A' still and clear.  Some days it works well, other days the 'A' bounces continually and I have to keep stopping and starting over.  The bouncing really drives me crazy!   

I don't suspect VT Therapy provides quick results, but as long as there is improvement over the long haul I'll stick with it. Just thought you'd like to know there's someone else starting this process of rehab with you. 

Cathie.

Nannybee

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 12:20:00 pm »
Today was the first session, and I found myself recruiting muscles from my toes all the way to my neck to try and do the balance master tasks. Actually, the "Balance Master" seems a bit similar to the WiiFit balance games in a lot of ways. I think I'll dust ours off and use it daily.

The therapist also has me doing some strengthening exercises for the core and legs which will be helpful regardless.

Cathie, yes! We will be doing it at the same time. Chances3, good to know life can regain some normalcy. Walking outdoors is challenging for me, especially with uneven surfaces. I usually hang on to hubby for dear life :-)
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2

Echo

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 01:21:44 pm »
Nannybee, glad you survived your first session! 

I was also told to do lots of walking without my 2 dogs.  I mentioned on a separate post how I walk both and keep a leash in each hand. They are retrievers, so a nice size to walk.  If I felt like I was leaning one way I would pull on a leash to help me - well that's not really a good idea.  Turns out I'm relying to much on them to help me, kinda like using a walker.  Today I spent lunch walking without the dogs, on trails at a nearby park.  20 minutes was all I could manage and my head started to feel really wonky, it's so much more difficult to walk on uneven trails instead of nice even sidewalks.  Took me about an hour to get back to feeling better after.   

Thanks for the encouraging comments Chance3. Knowing it gets better is all the motivation I need to keep going and I know it's going to take some time.

Cathie.

Nannybee

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 04:53:15 pm »
Into my second week of VT now, and I can honestly say that I do think that the exercises in the "Balance Master" where I have a visual target on a screen in front of me and have to try to reach the target by moving my body while the floor and/or walls move has been somewhat helpful already.

We are working on gaze stabilization exercises like you, Echo and also walking while turning my head side to side and standing on squishy pads and trying to balance with my eyes closed. Fun stuff.

Echo, I actually thought about dogs as helpers with balance. My little 12 pounder wouldn't be much help though!
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2

Echo

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 11:37:13 am »
Hi Nannybee,

Sounds like you are doing pretty good with the therapy.  I have not tried the Balance Master yet, but will enquire about it. 

We had a drastic change in the weather here yesterday.  A cold front moved in and our lovely warm summer day turned exceptionally cool.  The sudden change in barometric pressure caused me to have a really bad wonky head day.  I tried really hard to do my gaze stabilizing exercises but got instantly nauseous, so gave that idea up for the day.  I went out at lunch and managed to have an extra long walk.  Was definitely wobbly by the time I got back to work, but was grateful I could manage it.  Today we have a lovely cool, sunny, breezy day and I feel pretty darn good - next to no wobbling!   I always find it interesting how the weather seems to have an effect on me.

Hope things continue to go well with the rehab!  By the way, I bet your 12 lb dog has learned how to watch your feet and move out of the way when you wobble.  My Goldens have been terrific at adapting to my funny moves!

Cathie.