Author Topic: Out of state thinking of going to HEC House  (Read 3260 times)

Dimpesbyu

Out of state thinking of going to HEC House
« on: August 13, 2013, 01:52:40 pm »
If I send the scans to LA "House" how long does it take to get a response?  And if you did that did you have to go in person to talk and then travel again for surgery,  or is it possible to just send the scans, talk though email/Skype/phone and then travel for surgery?

Just wanting to weigh all the options.

Thanks!
Meredith

nftwoed

Re: Out of state thinking of going to HEC House
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:25:16 pm »
Hi;
   I received a telephone call from Dr. Brackmann in about two weeks after my CD would have arrived, but didn't go out for Tx. Other Drs. call people also.

Jim J.

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 04:07:17 am »
I have surgery scheduled at house on the 28th. of Aug. I live in Atlanta and spoke to my surgeon twice about my procedure after sending M.R.I. and hearing test results. My doctor was always available if I needed to speak to him. Some of my questions were answered by his nurse. I'll have my blood work done this week at my doctor's office here in Atlanta and it will be sent to him. the day before surgery several pre-opp. tests will be done out there.
Good luck, I wish you the best, and I hope this helped.

Jim

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:40:50 am »
Hi Meredith .....

I sent my MRI and audiogram and had a call back from Dr. Friedman less than 24 hours after he received it.  I had all additional labs/tests that were needed done after I arrived out there for my surgery.  No need to travel twice.

In my case it was the best decision I ever made to go there for surgery.  My husband and I stayed in their Seton Hall Guest House right next door to St. Vincent's Hospital and it was inexpensive, convenient, clean, comfortable, and best of all a great support for both of us with other AN surgery patients and their families.

If you need additional information, send me a PM.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kmr1969

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 11:12:04 am »
Meredith,

I traveled from Maryland to LA for surgery at House.

I sent my MRI to the attention of Dr. Brackmann, never really expecting that he would be the one to call me back, but within a week he did and gave me his diagnosis.  I talked to several other doctors in MD, VA, and PA and then did about a 1 hour call with Dr. Brackmann going over all the details of the surgery and what I could expect as an outcome.

I made the decision to go with House after confirming that my insurance would be accepted.

Didn't meet Dr. Brackmann until the day before surgery, but wasn't disappointed.

I don't think you can make a bad decision by going to House, but it does involve some extra expenses and stress from the travel there, being away from home for at least 2 weeks, and then the travel back when you are still not feeling all that great.

Good luck with your decision and your treatment,

Ken

2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 12:12:05 pm »
I'm also an enthusiastic House alumni.  The experience was very positive from beginning to end.  My thoughts are with both you and Jim.   :)
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.