Author Topic: Radiation or Surgery  (Read 3574 times)

sandyinwisconsin

Radiation or Surgery
« on: August 25, 2013, 03:49:47 pm »
I'm 43 years old with a 1 cm tumor.  I already lost most of my hearing.  The doctors recommend middle fossa surgery or radiation. 

I'm afraid of surgery, but i'm afraid of cancer caused by radiation.  I'm afraid of my physical and mental outcomes with surgery. 

Does anyone have words of encouragement for either procedure? 

sandyinwisconsin
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Radiation or Surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 04:11:06 pm »
Hi, Sandy ~

Your trepidation is perfectly natural.  Both surgery and radiation have downsides and risks.  However, while perfect outcomes are not guranteed, neither are poor outcomes and problems.  I underwent both AN surgery (to de-bulk a 4.5 cm AN) followed by radiation (FSR) intended to destroy the remaining tumor's ability to re-grow. I was SSD going into the surgery so that didn't change but I suffered no complications post-op and recovered quickly.  Ninety days later I underwent 25 FSR sessions (a total of 27 Gy) and they were uneventful with no side effects.  My AN symptoms never returned.  Subsequent MRI scans indicated the beginnings of tumor necrosis.  That was seven years ago.  Today, I'm doing great and feel fine. 

No one can guarantee the outcome of AN surgery or radiation but because you'll have to make a choice, I wanted you to know that my outcome was not necessarily an outlier and that although your concerns are valid, there really is, as we like to say, 'life after an AN'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 04:59:18 pm »
1 cm AN's are relatively small and experienced surgeons can remove them more easily than larger ones, often with no or few complications. Remember that most complications are temporary and that the ones that are not become less bothersome over time.

The highly rated, most experienced radiation practitioners have statistics that
cancer from the treatment is a negligible risk. I am referring to UMPC, Dr Lundsford, and Stanford, Dr Chang.

The only way to limit risk in either procedure is to assure yourself of the competence/experience of your practitioner. High volume neurosurgery centers provide both types of treatment and the experienced doctors you are looking for. Good luck.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Petrone

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:25:21 pm »
Hi Sandy,

You're the only one who can decide what's the right course for you, but you should know that in addition to radiation and surgery there is a perfectly viable third option, which is Watch & Wait. We all know that there is a period of adjustment after an acoustic neuroma diagnosis, but there is very likely no need to rush into either radiation or surgery. You may have several years before you would "need" to take action. I waited 3 years after diagnosis before undergoing GK. Some wait even longer. 

(I'm also from WI and you're welcome to PM me to hear about local support groups, etc.)

Take care,
Petrone
1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:49:09 am »
Sandy, I've had both and I am quite wonderful. In fact, in many ways I am more wonderful than before my 32-hour surgery. You have time to make a decision and you will receive lots of good advice to consider. Hang in there and talk to as many docs as you need to feel comfortable.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 08:43:04 am »
I can understand being in a place of fear but hopefully you will mediate or pray on this question until you hear that still, small voice of intuition (or the Divine) whispering the answer to you.  Good luck. 
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

theshawn65

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 03:46:06 pm »
Welcome but sorry to have to be here and I'm a newb to this myself diag a month ago at 2.4cm.

I would say any encouragement would be yours was caught early so you have more options. If you just found out please give yourself some time to digest it all and realize it's not a death sentence. Sure there will be life adjustments and possible discomforts, but this rarely kills anyone, especially when caught early.

The fact you've already lost most of your hearing may help your decision, and considering it's size you have plenty of time to decide, so don't panic.

The success rates of both types of surgery (micro or radio) are pretty high regardless of which you choose it seems so it will be a personal preference on your part. Read everything you can on it, then takes breaks for a day or so when you hit information overload. Heck maybe even take a week or more between research binges.

Sorry you have to be here, but this is a great place to help you as you embark on your new journey or chapter in life.

God bless.
2.2 x 2.2 x 2.3cm AN -- 3 FSR LINAC Oct 23-25th 2013