Author Topic: Facial progress reversing??  (Read 2514 times)

emmiesmommy1113

Facial progress reversing??
« on: June 17, 2013, 01:05:20 pm »
Hi. I'm 24 and had my surgery in November 2012. I have made great progress. After surgery the right side of my face was completely numb/paralyzed. It had become mostly normal and now it seems to be regressing. I'm not sure if this is normal. My right eye lid is starting to droop and that side seems tighter now. Harder to move. My husband has since left the military and we do not have insurance now so I can't afford to see a doctor. Is this normal for this far out of surgery? Is it just the next stage to more progress? I'm just really concerned about it. After surgery I had the problem of my eye staying open, had to use drops and ointment. Now it's hard to keep it open when making facial expressions. I've still had some numbness with progress but it seems more numb and slightly puffy. The eyelid has been twitching a lot lately as well.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did it get better? Also, I am overweight, could losing weight help with the heaviness of my eyelid? I am able to work out again and get back on track trying to lose weight.

If it helps to know, mine was a little over 3cm and they removed almost all of it. You have to look really hard to see it on MRI and they filled the space with fat.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:07:04 pm by emmiesmommy1113 »

lifeisgood

Re: Facial progress reversing??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 09:30:08 pm »
Its called synkinesis. Jackie Diels wrote a great article on it.
She does facial retraining in Wisconsin. I wrote an article about my experience with it 8 months post surgery.  Check the archives. The jist  of it is that the affected side becomes overactive. The muscles get confused and recruit the wrong muscles too.  There are techniques you can do and stretches too that may help.  She may even Skype sessions . I am not sure I haven't seen her in 3 years.
When I close my eye, the corner of the mouth wants to to turn up.  It is very tight.
Best to you.
Mary
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach