Author Topic: How much does GK or CK really cost?  (Read 13264 times)

Nannybee

Re: How much does GK or CK really cost?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 08:33:46 am »
The physician charges were actually a minimal part of the charges. $2100 for the neurosurgeon, $3500 for the radiation oncologist, $380 for the radiologist. The biggest charges were for the actual use of the machine. I had LINAC treatment with 4 passes and each pass was broken down on the bill and averaged $14500 per pass. The charge for use of the head frame itself was also on the bill.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

robinb

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 09:56:10 am »
Just as a PS to my previous posts on this topic:

The billing dept at UPMC continued to try and squeeze more from my insurer. When they were finished, I questioned a couple of charges and those were taken off. So my final out of pocket costs for the GK procedure was $1,991.52 plus $60 for office visit consult copay and $10 for lab tests.

My ongoing MRI's are covered at 100% as well.

All in all, I am very lucky that I have good insurance.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

PaulW

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 11:42:27 am »
"I had LINAC treatment with 4 passes and each pass was broken down on the bill and averaged $14500 per pass."

This is a very important point.....

Does fractionation actually work?
Its a very good question!

Real world results between GK and other fractionated treatments are almost identical. Why?

In many countries single session LINAC radiosurgery is common place,
Why is the practice of multiple sessions so popular in the US? But not elsewhere?

There are a lot of people charging 3-5 times more for a procedure that may provide advantages.
The actual proof that fractionation provides better outcomes than single session remain thin.

Because fractionation "might" be helpful many keep doing it and charging appropriately

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:59:15 am by PaulW »
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Nannybee

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 01:38:56 pm »
Paul, My LINAC treatment was not fractionated. The Trilogy machine has the ability to do both SRS and FRS. I had SRS, but unlike GK, the machine moves around the patient in an arc with each arc considered a pass in my billing example. I had a single treatment where the machine made 4 passes around me.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

PaulW

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 03:57:06 pm »
Cool Got it... Single fraction, 4 arcs.
The prices in the US are a lot more than here in Australia.
We pay about $15500 for the entire treatment.
I shudder to think what a fractionated cost would be for 5 fractions.
I guess my concern is that we are sold on the idea of fractionation which allows operators to charge 3-5 times versus a single fraction. It is still unclear as to whether fractionation provides superior results to single fraction.

Approximate prices in US Dollars inclusive of 10% gst in Australia
Which tourists can claim back.

All inclusive prices excluding cost of CT or MRI
GK is US$ 22500
Trilogy around $15500 for 4-6 arcs
Varian Linac SRS $5000 for 6 arcs

MRI's on older machines are down to $350
MRI's on the latest machines around $900

One wonders if there was a bit more "medical tourism" if that would help drive competition and reduce prices in the US

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 04:01:09 pm »
Real world results between GK and other fractionated treatments are almost identical. Why?

Same reason some people buy Fords and others buy Chevys.

They are both boxes on wheels with all of the same equipment and similar in quality and performance.

There are other analogies.

Houses, for example. Some people like brick. Some people like stucco. They serve the same purpose. Houses are boxes in which you keep your stuff. (Thank you, George Carlin.)

Food. Sushi vs cheeseburger. Both serve the same purpose and are indistinguishable when they come out the other end.

Bear with me. Only one more.

Mac vs PC.

It's a matter of perception
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 04:15:34 pm »
It's a matter of perception.

Well yes, but doctor recommendations often are determinate.  AN patients are not always knowldgable about the various attributes or risks of radiation options and some doctors prefer GK to CK and vice versa, usually based on their experience. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nftwoed

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 06:13:38 pm »
Hello;

Perhaps a desire for a market share? The comparison between the two radiation forms have not always been quite so close, have they?

nftwoed

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 06:18:18 pm »
Hello;

I'm not so sure it's as simple as a 'single fraction." The tumor actually receives several hits in GK, I believe.

phantagrae

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 04:55:24 pm »
While I don't really know anything about GK vs CK vs SRS vs FSR, I don't think that my doctor is trying to scam me by offering me fractionated treatments.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think that the 30 treatments I've had have been pretty easy on my body, compared to the accounts I've heard from some people about the side-effects of single session GK.

I had the option to do 5 treatments or 30.  The doctors I spoke with, knowing I was a musician and that hearing preservation was my main goal, felt that the lower individual doses with FSR would be the best way to go easy on my hearing.
And I don't know that it's about making more money, since the clinic I'm going to is a non-profit facility, often writing off the entire cost of treatment in some cases.  I don't know how much assistance I'll receive, but they know that my puny insurance will not pay for any of my treatment.

In my treatments, I think I get "zapped" about 10 or 11 times each time--the machine rotates around, and the angle of the bed is changed a couple of times as it aims at my head from different angles.

I have only 3 more to go!! :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:57:10 pm by phantagrae »
Numbness on right side of face beginning some time in 2012 through early 2013
MRI 4/15/13
20mm x 19mm x 16mm intra and extra canalicular AN on Right Side.  ("Largely extracanalicular")
FSR treatment beginning on July 22, 2013--going for 30 treatments

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 07:02:27 pm »
I had 5 CK treatments and each time I went the CK machine made multiple passes to the tune of a total bill of approximately $85k.  The EOB showed multiple charges for each of the 5 days I went - apparently one for each pass.
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

mk

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 09:52:48 am »
The physician charges were actually a minimal part of the charges. $2100 for the neurosurgeon, $3500 for the radiation oncologist, $380 for the radiologist. The biggest charges were for the actual use of the machine. I had LINAC treatment with 4 passes and each pass was broken down on the bill and averaged $14500 per pass. The charge for use of the head frame itself was also on the bill.

Back to the original discussion, I was able to obtain the actual breakdown for the GK costs here in Ontario, Canada that are charged to our health plan (which is run by the province):

Gamma knife treatment day $2,121.16 includes MRI with Gadolium, CT Scan, Treatment planning and Gamma Knife treatment.  Total AN related costs $5,250.60 includes all diagnosis related testing, including audiology and MRI's. Follow up MRI's, surgery and radiology consultation over a two year period and the treatment day itself.

Assuming that physician costs in N. America would be (relatively) comparable, it seems that the major difference is the cost for using the equipment. I suspect that the reason why costs for equipment usage in the States is so high, as everyone mentioned, is that the cost for capital cost recovery is factored in. i.e. different models for calculating the cost: In the States someone (a hospital, or clinic for example) makes the initial investment and pays for the capital cost for installation/initial commissioning etc., and then this cost is recovered through the span of many years, from the users.
In the other model, the cost is covered upfront (by taxpayers money), so there is no need to factor in the cost for capital cost recovery into the actual treatment. Plus the state-run health insurance plans can put a cap on what they pay for usage.
Recognizing that capital cost for such equipment must  be covered, it is then a matter of paying upfront (by the taxpayers), vs. paying afterwards (by the users).

I don't want to stir any discussion about which model is better; the point is that cost must be recovered somehow, and there are different models for doing this. I am just trying to find an explanation for the big differences reported.

Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 01:17:15 pm »
Hello;

I'm not so sure it's as simple as a 'single fraction." The tumor actually receives several hits in GK, I believe.

You're right.

It's a single session.

But the radiation is applied to the tumor in a series of "shots" aimed at different sections of the tumor so that the combined number of "shots" covers the entire tumor. The number and position of the "shots" depend on the size and shape of the tumor
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0