Author Topic: Meningioma acting up  (Read 4210 times)

Nannybee

Meningioma acting up
« on: June 09, 2013, 06:44:58 pm »
My right AN was treated with radio surgery in April and my pre treatment MRI showed some swelling on the brain around one of the meningiomas (the one that looks like it is type 2 on the scan) but I was not having symptoms of that swelling, so my neurosurgeon said we can push off the craniotomy to remove it until the fall.

Now, starting about 4 days ago I am having numbness in the toes on my right foot, exactly the symptom he said that I would feel first from the brain swelling in that area. I will need to call him tomorrow and see what he recommends. I have had 3 consults when they were first diagnosed and all 3 surgeons say that one will need to come out.

Scared to death right now.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

Susan A

Re: Meningioma acting up
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:53:02 pm »
Nannybee - the good news is that your NS was able to tell you what symptoms to expect so that you could do something about it right away! It sounds like there is no disagreement among the docs you've consulted about the need for surgery, so that's another positive - you don't have to try to second-guess a decision. Surgery of any kind is scary though . . . maybe up the valium for a while?
BTW, did they reach the NF2 diagnosis based just on the tumors you have or on the genetic testing you had done?
2011 8 x 7 mm AN, & 20 x 22 mm M found, both on the left. Mosaic NF2 diagnosed. Some hearing loss
2014 hearing 30% on left, now using hearing aid (HA)
2015 Now have CROS HA - no longer hear enough for HA to be useful in AN ear
2016 Use an FM system on occasion at work to supplement HA

nftwoed

Re: Meningioma acting up
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:44:48 pm »
Hello;
   Has the idea you might have NF-2 ever been floated your way?
   Best wishes with meningiomas. A meningioma may, however, be an easier surgery than AN as a Meningioma is attached to an outer area of the brain, called the "meninges"

My right AN was treated with radio surgery in April and my pre treatment MRI showed some swelling on the brain around one of the meningiomas (the one that looks like it is type 2 on the scan) but I was not having symptoms of that swelling, so my neurosurgeon said we can push off the craniotomy to remove it until the fall.

Now, starting about 4 days ago I am having numbness in the toes on my right foot, exactly the symptom he said that I would feel first from the brain swelling in that area. I will need to call him tomorrow and see what he recommends. I have had 3 consults when they were first diagnosed and all 3 surgeons say that one will need to come out.

Scared to death right now.