Author Topic: Retrosigmoid outcomes at House  (Read 4369 times)

TomBVA

Retrosigmoid outcomes at House
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:56:47 am »
I am close to scheduling retrosigmoid at House.  I have high confidence in House, but less confident in retrosigmoid.  For those who have had retrosig at House please let me know how it went.  I am interested in hearing preservation outcomes, I have been told 50/50 by House.  Interestingly, another respected institution on the east coast gave me lower odds on hearing preservation.

nftwoed

Re: Retrosigmoid outcomes at House
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 09:31:43 pm »
Hello;

How large is the tumor to be receiving RS? HEI is pretty hard to beat any method, as I believe they developed and perfected all 3 approaches. There have been some individualized, modified approaches.

TomBVA

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 10:45:31 am »
1.6cm.   Upon a follow up consult with House, Middle Fossa hasn't been ruled out, but I need to make the decision between MF and retrosig.   The higher risk to the facial nerve was mentioned with Mid Fossa.  I am unsure which procedure to choose.

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:21:24 pm »
Hi;

Possibly a higher risk to the auditory nerve with RS and greater potential for post op side effects in some?
   Technically, MCF uses a mirror to look back toward the facial nerve. In some, the nerve lies right on top the IAC.
   This is just personal, but I pretty well trust HEI with Mid Fossa.

TomBVA

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 10:54:32 am »
Thanks.   I take it you had a good mid fossa outcome?  How large was tumor? 

jetatp

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 01:43:52 pm »
Hi

I am scheduled for surgery at HEI using the Mid Fossa approach. I still have 88% speech recognition in my ear so Dr Friedman has recommended that type of surgery. I
completely trust the Doctors at HEI. I believe they are one of the best in the country for dealing with AN.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 02:16:26 pm »
Jetatp ~

And most of us would agree.  Although there are many fine neurosurgeons with extensive AN removal experience located throughout the U.S., sometimes they are difficult to find.  Making HEI a prudent choice for AN surgery.  My neurosurgeon was highly experienced with AN surgery (he did a fantastic job ) - and was located just 30 miles from my home.  However, had I not found this excellent doctor, HEI was my fallback choice.  I believe many AN patients feel that way based on HEI's outstanding reputation.   

I wish you complete success with your upcoming AN surgery.  Please stop by to update us when you can.  Thanks. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kmr1969

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 05:30:16 pm »
Tom,

I can't speak to the retro approach at House, but I can tell you that the doctors and nurses were terrific.  I had translab done there in November.  Unfortunately, while my hearing was still good, the tumor was too large and I was given 0% of saving my hearing while getting it out.

I hope you end up on the right side of that 50/50 that House gave you.

Good luck,

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far