Author Topic: serc tablets betahistine  (Read 6933 times)

Alison

serc tablets betahistine
« on: June 03, 2013, 09:08:45 am »
Hi,
 I've just had a phone call from my GP after her contacting the oncology doc about my constant imbalance and dizziness. It has been suggested I try serc tablets (betahistine). Has anyone tried these or know about them? I'm concerned about side effects and don't want to give myself more symptoms!

It says on netdoctor "Betahistine works by acting on histamine receptors that are found in the walls of blood vessels in the inner ear. By activating these receptors, a process is started which ultimately reduces the pressure of the fluid that fills the labyrinth in the inner ear. This helps relieve the symptoms associated with Ménière's disease." Don't know if that's appropriate to an AN?

Someone I've talked to was told it was best not to take them because in order for any dizziness/balance issues to get better the brain needs to realize there's a problem. I've heard this before about meds but my GP didn't seem to know what I was on about when I mentioned this.

Any advice will be gratefully received,

thanks Alison.
CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

nftwoed

Re: serc tablets betahistine
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 03:51:44 pm »
Hi;

Well, Serc is commonly given to those with Meniere's Disease, but that is an ongoing illness. To my knowlege, there is no cure for 'Morbus Meniere's' except palliative Txs, but, those are usually destructive.
   The Endolymph fluid of the labythrinth has nothing to do with AN complications.

jodywood

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 03:03:37 am »
I m taking Betahistine 8mg 3 pills 3 times a day. Think this is starting to help somewhat. Since I have increased the doesage my hearing and ringing have improved - has given me great relief at work not having to strain so much to hear.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 04:26:25 am »
took serc at one time with some benifit and no side effects
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)