Author Topic: Reduced hearing in both ears?  (Read 6383 times)

AlliKC

Reduced hearing in both ears?
« on: May 12, 2013, 07:11:59 pm »
I have not been diagnosed with an AN but recently found out I have hearing loss in both ears, with the right hear more than 10+ decibels (sp?) off from the left. This has caused the audiologist to suspect an AN and I have a follow-up appointment this Thursday with an ENT.

I have been researching like crazy and I don't find many cases where there was hearing loss on both sides, it seems to be on one side, and often quite sudden with many other symptoms present-vertigo, ringing, etc.

How many of you had hearing loss in both ears with one being worse??

Thanks  :)

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Reduced hearing in both ears?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 07:35:25 pm »
AlliKC

I have hearing loss is both ears.  The AN is on the right side, but my left side has lost more than the right.  We know why the loss on the AN side.  In my left ear I have been diagnosed with Menieres's disease which also causes hearing loss.

TJ

jsanders1379

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:05:45 pm »
I had very similar hearing loss in both ears for years before being Dx with my AN
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:59:11 am »
There could be several reasons why you have hearing loss in both ears.        There is something called contralateral hearing loss which they may not know why the non AN side is affected.       You might have an AN and other reasons for both sides being affected besides the AN.      Congenital problem.hereditary issue?     Who knows                           In time if you do have an AN and possible hearing loss with it, then you might be a candidate for a cochlear implant on the other side.      This is long term possibilities so try not to over worry about that now.        Just know that you are not doomed to no hearing at all for sure in the future.  Possibly the other side will stay as it is forever.                    Just know ANs are treatable and there can be a  normal life possibily with some adjustments of life, or hardly any adjustments.               One on the forum reads of some with some long term issues but many do not have severe issues and are gone from here soon past treatment.          The not knowing what is happening is scary as we well know here.     I can be a worrier too and know it is not easy.  Just know you should know more in time.  Many ENTs also do not know a lot about ANs and a neurotologist or neurosurgeon who do them on a frequent or regular basis is of more help.         Just make sure a MRI is with contrast.                    We are here for you!                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

nftwoed

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 11:08:24 am »
Hi AlliKC;

Not sure your age but it could be presbycusis if MRI is negative the contralateral side.
   There is such a thing as sympathetic hearing loss in some. I believe that's fairly rare.

producer

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 09:36:30 am »
Also as in my case you may have noise induced hearing loss on both ears which may be worse by the presence of a VS on one side.

Mosaic NF2  diagnosed march 2011.

9mm x 6mm x 6mm left VS

Cyberknife 3 day treatment completed May 2nd.

AlliKC

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 06:53:22 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I have an ABR Monday morning, which the Audiologist said I will likely fail and they will schedule an MRI very quickly. She is very suspicious of an AN and was so from the very beginning.  I do hope she's wrong but I am not as worried about an AN right now.

I am however, worried about the possibility of becoming deaf-and that seems to be a more realistic fear as I have enough of a hearing loss (at 42 years old) to need hearing aids in both ears. My right ear has hearing loss in the middle and high frequencies-left only high frequency loss--low frequency is fine on both sides. My ENT said my hearing literally "drops" off significantly" in my right ear.  Don't know what that means but it does not sound good.

I don't really know what all this means-does anyone have ANY advice or thoughts? High frequency-low freq....it's all so new to me...I really thought I had earwax or ADHD!

I have not found any message boards for newly diagnosed hearing impaired  :(

wwlisa

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 01:53:35 pm »
I have had bi laterial hearing loss in both ears for many years.  I wear bi laterial hearing aids.  I'm able to function quite well.  Most people don't know I wear them. My left ear better than right side with loss  severe to profound. 
I work for an ENT so that helps with coworkers who understand hearing loss.   Recently diagnosed with a  right side acoustic neuroma. 14mm x 9mm x 7mm.  At first freaked out, now I'm taking things one day at a time.  This support group has helped me so much!   (even if this is my first time responding to a message)  ;D

nftwoed

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 01:57:11 pm »
Hi;
   Another condition which causes a drop of about 6 - 10 dB in an ear, is a flat typmanogram due to inflexibility of the ear drum. There may be water in the middle ear, or an eustachion tube problem.
   The condition presents with a low frequency loss, however ( cochlea ). A high frequency loss is usually consistent with a sensoineural ( nerve ) loss.
   By "dropping off significantly", she means from low toward middle frequency, shows a precipitous drop in ability to hear pure tones as that it to order an MRI and to find a Neurotologist specializing in AN if indeed MRI reveals one.

goinbatty

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 06:42:24 pm »
When I was first diagnosed, hearing was in normal range for both ears.  Now it's considered moderate loss in both ears with the AN side being slightly worse than the other.  Bilateral HA's have been recommended.  Since diagnosis ~6 yrs ago, I've not used any telephone on the AN side and my job is telephone based.  Who knows.. 
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change