Author Topic: How big is too big for Gamma Knife?  (Read 10997 times)

v357139

Re: How big is too big for Gamma Knife?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 06:46:11 pm »
I should clarify.  Initially I asked him if I'd need emergency surgery if it swelled alot, and he said, I've never had a patient who needed emergency surgery.  I did go back to ask again and asked what would happen if it swelled a lot - he said if it swelled a lot, I may need surgery.  Seems like he is saying its possible to need surgery, but not probable.  I'll have to think on it some more.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

cindyjarrett

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 12:06:45 pm »
My tumor was about 2 cm in the CPA and pressing on the brainstem.  I had gammaknife in October, 2012.  I had GK at the University of Virginia but did go to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and saw Dr. Link.  I remember asking him about the tumor pressing on my brainstem, and he said where else would it be.  He said it would not be a problem.  Four months after GK I did have some swelling that produced some pain.  I believe the tumor was pressing on some nerves.  My doctor prescribed steroids, and the pain has not returned.  I go back in June for the next MRI but am feeling great now.  Also Dr. Link does surgery and GK but since my hearing is good said he would go with GK.  Good luck!
Diagnosed 8/9/12 with an on left side
19 mm x 17 mm x 13 mm
tinnitus with high pitch hearing loss
Will have gammaknife at UVA with Dr. Sheehan on 10/12/12
Trusting in God

PaulW

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 12:45:39 pm »
The size of the tumour created by swelling I believe is typically not a problem.
This is one of the reasons why the limit is typically set at 3cm. Because complications are few.
Hydrocephalus I believe is the main complication caused by larger tumours which may require a shunt.
Some trigeminal nerve problems mostly temporary are more likely with larger tumours
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

v357139

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 01:35:26 pm »
It all sounds very logical.  But I have to admit that I am somewhat of a hypochondriac.  I have already imagined all kinds of symptoms that the doctors told me were not anything to worry about.  I am concerned about what I will imagine after Gamma Knife.  Surgeon today did say my gag reflect is reduced on AN side, due to AN probably twisting brainstem.  I can see what my imagination might do with that.  What symptoms do people get in the weeks and months following Gamma Knife?
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

grammyslim

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 05:41:19 pm »
I just got my 1 yr MRI and my tumor is DEAD.  I did and still have some swelling which should go down before my next MRI -  for me reading everything that could and did go wrong with other people's surgery and asking surgeon what would you do in may case he would go with radiation if he were me under the same conditions this helped me confirm the decision I had already made - so glad I did it my way!! Radiation all the way for me
1.4 cm diagnosed 01/12
significant hearing loss rt side
total balance loss rt side - AN side -
left side already compensated (who knew)
Radiation completed May 2012 - all systems are GO -- so happy I chose radiation near home.