Author Topic: Hearing loss  (Read 2012 times)

Dena King

Hearing loss
« on: May 08, 2013, 11:39:11 am »
I had a very large AN removed in 1981, the hearing nerve was completely severed therefore complete hearing loss in left ear.  A few years ago I noticed I was having trouble hearing in my good ear.  Went to ENT and was told I had fluid behind my ear.  He suggested allergy testing which I did and have minimal allergies, so I decided to go with weekly allergy shots.  I saw no improvement after taking them weekly for 7 months.  Long story short I have had several MRI's and no new AN showing up, my hearing is continuing to decline and I have been told it must be genetic and the fact I am getting older.  I have seen 3 doctors and no one can give me good reason for the loss.

It is scaring me that I may have another AN on good side that isn't being detected.  Any suggestions from anyone else or have you had the same thing happen to you.
Lime size AN removed Nov, 1981
Complete left side facial paralysis/hearing loss.
1985-1987 7x11 crossover facial nerve graft surgeries -Julia K. Terzis MD, Norfolk , VA
Left eye tarsarophy 1990
Bi-Cros hearing aids 2011
Received left eye scleral lens, Sept, 2012

nftwoed

Re: Hearing loss
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 03:42:31 pm »
Hi Dena;

MRIs don't generally miss ANs unless interpreted incorrectly. If you wish to be sure, go to the medical records dept. and ask for a copy of the radiologists report and read it yourself, or have another read it. Maybe even a CD of the MRI.
   This water behind the ear drum in the middle ear can be caused by Eustachion Tube blockage. Thus far in life, I've been misdiagnosed as having water behind the ear xs 2. If a tympanogram is flat as performed by an Audiologist, you do have either water behind the ear, ear infection, or 'glue ear'.
    AIED, or auto immune ear disorder can take down hearing quickly. I'd get another opinion soon.
    For what it's worth, I'm personally not a fan of ENTs. Maybe you should see an Otologist, or Neurotologist. Uh ... soon!