Author Topic: My eye seems numb...  (Read 65636 times)

phantagrae

My eye seems numb...
« on: May 03, 2013, 03:14:13 pm »
Hi!

I'm still new to all of this--just diagnosed a couple of weeks ago.  I have some facial numbness--which was my primary symptom that led to my MRI, etc.

I know that my eyelid has some numbness and I've suspected that my eye itself is numb, just from how it feels.  So the other day I bought some artificial tears, just in case.
Today I went ahead and used them and when I first put a couple of drops in my right eye (my AN side) I wasn't sure I'd actually gotten them in because I didn't feel anything, so I got my mirror out and tried again and I could see the drops going in, but didn't feel anything.  I went ahead and put a couple of drops in my other eye and I was suprised at how cold the drops were and how well I could feel them in my unaffected eye.

I'm worried about what could happen to my eye with the numbness--foreign objects, lack of moisture, etc.  I know I've read about eye symptoms that can come about with the facial nerve being pressured, and I've read several posts about post-op eye issues, but I hadn't seen much about this stage that I'm in now.

I'm still weeks away from treatment (still waiting to talk to docs, etc.) and I just want to be pro-active about caring for my eye.  I am overdue for a regular check-up with my opthalmalogist, so I figure that should be step one, but I'm wondering if anyone has any quick tips in the meantime--things I should look out for, etc.

Thanks for all the help and support I've received already from all of you! :)
Numbness on right side of face beginning some time in 2012 through early 2013
MRI 4/15/13
20mm x 19mm x 16mm intra and extra canalicular AN on Right Side.  ("Largely extracanalicular")
FSR treatment beginning on July 22, 2013--going for 30 treatments

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: My eye seems numb...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 04:47:03 pm »
Could be related to AN, might be something else.

I suggest an immediate visit to your Opthalmologist.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

phantagrae

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 06:21:02 pm »
Yeah, I think I'm going to call my doc on Monday.
MRI 4/15/13
20mm x 19mm x 16mm intra and extra canalicular AN on Right Side.  ("Largely extracanalicular")

mk

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 08:03:42 pm »
What you describe is insensitivity of the cornea. This is associated with the general numbness that you have. It is due to the trigeminal nerve (cranial nerve V) being pressed by the tumor. The trigeminal nerve is mainly a sensory nerve, with three branches. Depending on the extent of the pressure caused by the tumor, various parts of the face may be affected.

I had exactly the same symptom that led to my diagnosis. Initially the numbness was only around the mouth, and tongue (I had a burnt tongue feeling), but then it spread throughout. My eye was very dry, and wouldn't respond to the "kleenex test". i.e. you slighlty touch your eye lid with a kleenex, the normal reflex would be to close the eye. However if you have cornea insensitivity the eye lid doesn't respond. You are right that it is a problem in case something goes into the eye. And for me this brought also excessive dryness and irritation, because the cornea wouldn't send the right signals for tear production. You must make sure that you use drops regularly, so that your cornea remains moist. Also if you are outside on a windy day etc., or when dust is around it is a good idea to wear glasses, to make sure your eye is protected.

My numbness went away completely after my surgery, but I know of others who had their symptoms persist. It depends on how well the nerve recovers.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

phantagrae

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 08:37:32 pm »
What you describe is insensitivity of the cornea. This is associated with the general numbness that you have. It is due to the trigeminal nerve (cranial nerve V) being pressed by the tumor. The trigeminal nerve is mainly a sensory nerve, with three branches. Depending on the extent of the pressure caused by the tumor, various parts of the face may be affected.

I had exactly the same symptom that led to my diagnosis. Initially the numbness was only around the mouth, and tongue (I had a burnt tongue feeling), but then it spread throughout. My eye was very dry, and wouldn't respond to the "kleenex test". i.e. you slighlty touch your eye lid with a kleenex, the normal reflex would be to close the eye. However if you have cornea insensitivity the eye lid doesn't respond. You are right that it is a problem in case something goes into the eye. And for me this brought also excessive dryness and irritation, because the cornea wouldn't send the right signals for tear production. You must make sure that you use drops regularly, so that your cornea remains moist. Also if you are outside on a windy day etc., or when dust is around it is a good idea to wear glasses, to make sure your eye is protected.

My numbness went away completely after my surgery, but I know of others who had their symptoms persist. It depends on how well the nerve recovers.

Marianna

Thanks--this does sound like my situation.
My symptoms started with a degree of loss of taste on the right side of my tongue and then numbness in my bottom lip, chin, cheek, scalded tongue feeling, numbness on the roof of my mouth/gums and has since spread to my nostril, cheekbone area, my eyelid/eye, my forehead and scalp.
It's all pretty mild in general, though the mouth symptoms are the most annoying--and now my eye.

I'm praying that the symptoms go away with treatment, once I get things going.

thanks again!
MRI 4/15/13

darkforest577

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 12:55:31 pm »
I have the same problem, I have lyme disease.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 03:07:33 pm »
darkforest577 .....

Do you also have an acoustic neuroma?

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

jaqiday

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 03:27:30 pm »
I have been dealing with facial paralysis and an eye that doesn't close and is dry since surgery march 2015. I use scleral lens for dry eye relief  but my eye doesn't always close by reflex like the left one. I always wear safety glasses or sunglasses when outside or gardening for protection. Guard dogs makes inexpensive ones for dry eye protection.  I highly recommend anyone with a compromised eye do the same.
Right AN 3.2cm 2-27-15
Retrosigmoid 3-9-15 6 hours
Facial nerve paralysis, dry eye, balance problems
Finding a new normal...

darkforest577

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 02:15:31 am »

Marianna
Indeed this can be a cause but this doesn't always mean you have a tumor. Many many different things can cause nerve problems. ms,lupas, so on, Good thing you got taken care of tho.

darkforest577 .....

Do you also have an acoustic neuroma?

Clarice
No not that I know of, but lyme in the late stage can cause cranial nerve problems /inflamation and numbness in face and hands among other things. Also tumors and other things can cause it as well tho.

any word on your condition phantagrae?