Author Topic: Dizzy  (Read 12491 times)

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Dizzy
« on: May 01, 2013, 09:48:25 pm »
I would like to ask a question to those that have had radiation.  I had CK about 2 1/2 years ago, up until now side effects have been pretty much expected.  I would like to know if any of you have had this happen.

About 3-4 weeks ago I started having very bad dizzy spells that last only a few seconds. (It is not vertigo, just dizzy)  They are bad enough to make me sit down immediately regardless of where I am.  I know side effects can last years but this is a little concerning.

Just trying to decide if I should go to my doctor for another MRI.  Would appreciate any input.

TJ

Petrone

Re: Dizzy
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:20:55 pm »
Hey TJ,

Repeated dizziness certainly seems like something to discuss with your ENT or general physician. 

Best,
Petrone
1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm

Tumbleweed

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 02:06:42 pm »
TJ, I would certainly discuss this with your doctor. But that said, know that dizziness can occur even years after treatment. I had dizzy episodes fully 3-1/2 years after receiving CK, after a couple years of relative calm. The dizziness may not necessarily be due to your tumor (but an MRI might be advised in order to rule this out; again ask your doctor for advice). Your damaged vestibular nerve is now your Achilles heel. When your general health is not at its very best, the weakest parts of your body (including your balance nerve) are going to be the first to act up. It might have nothing to do with your tumor acting up (in fact, it's probably just dead scar tissue at this point). There's probably no need to worry, but do inform your doctor and see what they say.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 08:12:33 pm »
As tumours grow it affects your balance nerve... As tumours shrink it can causes changes to the balance nerve too. The dizziness is probably a sign of change... Chances are good change.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

JLR

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 03:41:29 am »
Hello...I had just logged on looking for info on dizziness as I have the very same symptoms.  I had CK Dec. 2010. All was going well. Having MRI's every 6 months under the watchful eye of Dr.Hass..BUT this past week all of a sudden Im back to having my balance so off I hesitated driving yesterday.  Today Im a bit better but still a little dizzy. I was relieved to read that it might be the AN shrinking..Lets hope..I am due for another MRI mid summer and then followup visit with Dr. Haas ( from Winthrop Hosp.CyberCenter) Lets hope this is all very uneventful. As usual I get lots of info from this site. Thanks!!

Anomar11

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:51:02 pm »
I'm about 4.5 yrs post CK.  For 2 years after I had wonky head and 2 episodes of vertigo likely from swelling.  Tumor has now shrunk to less than diagnosis.  For about the last 2 years I've been pretty much back to normal except  I've had 2-3 dizzy/nausea spells for which I have to take medicine and lie down, and it passes.  Just this Tues, had bad vertigo and unrelenting vomiting.  Dr. is calling is vestibular neuritis, likely caused by a virus. I'm off work until Weds, much better, but still not well.  I'm prone to herpes on my left AN side.  I agree with TW, that it's now likely a weakened area and more prone to problems, and just goes with the territory.  It stinks, but could always be worse.  Every doctor has different guidelines re: MRI's.  Check with your doctor if it has you worried.  But I can tell you it's not uncommon to have "episodes".  Take care.
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

JLR

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 01:22:23 pm »
Hi All, In my previous writing I stated that I was getting some dizzy spells but this week its so bad that I have to sit down asap. I'm hoping that it is the continuing shrinkage of the AN and not growth. Anyway, Im due for my follow up MRI in a few weeks. Any thoughts? Thanks!JR

Had CK 12/1/10

Tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 11:17:31 am »
Hopefully not to sound like a broken record on this forum, but your dizziness could be due to dietary factors. I have found that eating sugar, caffeine (chocolate) and very oily foods (peanut butter) all increase dizziness. Dehydration and fatigue also make dizziness worse. Drink plenty of water, get lots of sleep and eat lots of green vegetables, and your dizziness will very likely abate, unless of course it's due to tumor regrowth.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 07:45:08 pm »
Thanks to all who have given me advise.  I went to see Dr Chang at Stanford about me being so dizzy.  He did not seem to concerned but thought vestibular therapy might help.  Well I have gone 9 times and my dizzy spells have pretty much gone away. 

It is amazing that they can retrain you brain to use the other parts of the balance system that has not been damaged. 

Of course Dr Chang still wants to do the MRI in October which is when I have the yearly one done. 

Thanks Again

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 04:25:37 am »
Hi all,

Over 7 yrs post-CK and every blue moon, I have dizziness spells (not too often but on occasion.....). 

I am not a Dr nor do I play one on TV (I am not THAT Dr. Phil) yet...... in my own personal experience, vestibular therapy and LOW dose valium (2mg) taken for no more than 1 to 2 wks tends to calm the nerve down. Much like Tumbleweed's and other suggestions, low dose valium use for dizziness issues (as well as Meclazine/dramamine) has also been discussed.

Follow up with your neuo-onc from the CK center (or your local neurologist) should be able to guide you during this issue. Please keep your CK team updated. They will want to know.

I hope this helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nftwoed

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 07:27:00 am »
Hi TJ;
   I'm happy for you the VRT helped.
   Re, vestibular decompensation; It can have a myriad of causes. Any change to the body, diet, activities, or environement actually.
   I doubt, unless MRI would prove AN growth, an exact cause would be easily determined.
   One thing one might remember; Though the AN is not changing, ( increasing/decreasing ) in volume, it continues to affect the nerves. Esp. the one it arises from. E.G. One can go quickly deaf with the AN not growing.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 07:14:06 pm »
Hi Russ,

Just for my own curiosity, nothing more.... have you studied medicine?  your posts shows a lot of depth and am curious if you have studied? I know we have many nurses and such on these forums.

Thanks! :)
Phyl

Hi TJ;
   I'm happy for you the VRT helped.
   Re, vestibular decompensation; It can have a myriad of causes. Any change to the body, diet, activities, or environement actually.
   I doubt, unless MRI would prove AN growth, an exact cause would be easily determined.
   One thing one might remember; Though the AN is not changing, ( increasing/decreasing ) in volume, it continues to affect the nerves. Esp. the one it arises from. E.G. One can go quickly deaf with the AN not growing.
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nftwoed

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 08:35:37 pm »
Hi;

PM'd you, Phyl. Have a nice eve/Tuesday!

nftwoed

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 09:11:25 pm »
Hi;
   I have read the vestibular system may be sympathetic in some cases. In other words, the good side lessens in sensitivity to accommodate and equalize a lost side. This might be considered the body's attempt at homeostasis.
   Re, "vestibular clamp", I don't recall how long this phenomena lasts. You may be able to Google that using "scholar".

Tisha

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 03:35:04 am »
I just want  to thank everyone and say hello to those of you I recognize...Pearl, Tumbleweed and anomar.  Good to see you.  I've been fairly well, I haven't had a bad nystagmus attack in about two year.  The kind that left me vomiting and in bed for hours.  Now I get a very slight version of nystagmus and wonky hard every 5 weeks or so, but low dose Valium takes cure of it quickly.

It's been almost 5 years since CK...hard to believe.  Well, for the past 6 weeks I've had the minor nystagmus and wonky head every day and stopped taking the meds after 4 weeks to see how I would do.  I'm not bed ridden but its annoying all day.  Maybe it's the change in weather patterns in the Midwest...hot, then cold, then rainy and 70' then sunny and 82,   Or maybe it's just my body still having the tumor press.  My last MRI showed it was slightly smaller...ver slight.  That was in Feb 2012' so I'm due or another. 

Anyway, I am considering VT for the first time.  Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and say hi and thanks for the helpful thread.  Sorry for any typos, I'm on the iPad mini and that seems to happen using these vs a PC.   Tisha
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:36:52 am by Tisha »
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys