Author Topic: Tinnitus change and eye drops  (Read 6475 times)

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
Tinnitus change and eye drops
« on: April 21, 2013, 10:36:24 am »
I wanted to alert the forum members to something that happened to me recently. I'd posted last year in a response to another member who stated they could change the pitch of their tinnitus by moving their eyes, which I can do, too. They described it like a tuning fork. Other posties could change the pitch and volume of their tinnitus by moving their head or clenching their jaw. Well I've gotten used to my tinnitus since my surgery. It hasn't changed or if it has, it's not been noticeable or distracting, except recently.  I recently changed eye lubricant. I thought I would try something new during the day and found a different brand that was also preservative-free in the eye. I started using it. I had used it for perhaps one full day, maybe two at most. I was getting ready for bed when my tinnitus got really loud suddenly (This isn't to say it doesn't mildly get more annoying if I drink too much caffeine or don't get enough sleep. It does. But this was much worse.). I was very upset and had to turn on the tv to drown it out. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night. The following day, I was still dealing with louder than usual tinnitus. I thought, this is my new normal and I'm just going to have to get used to it. That day, I was putting in the new eye drops when the tinnitus volume changed! I stopped, called out to my husband that I believe I just discovered why my tinnitus changed the previous night! He said, you know, I thought of that. The drops were the only thing you changed recently. I have since stopped using the new drops, went back to my old ones, and my tinnitus is back to where it was before.

So, this is just a friendly caution that if your tinnitus has changed and you've changed eye lubricants, there may be a connection.
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

Chances3

Re: Tinnitus change and eye drops
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:17:45 am »
I find your post fascinating.  You took something that changed your tinnitus right away - unfortunately the wrong way, but imagine if we could find something that would help right away ?  I would assume something in those drops got into your blood stream rather quickly and set off your tinnitus.

I commute to work by train.  Going home I would fall asleep with my head way down adding pressure to my neck, and wake up 45 minutes later with my tinnitus even worse - go figure.

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 10:30:57 pm »
Chances3, 

I know! Wouldn't it be nice to wake up and realize something made the tinnitus go away instead of making it worse! Ah, maybe one day. I definitely know that I made a leap of judgement, but when it comes to tinnitus, I just don't take chances. I've become too… I don't know if paranoid is the right word, but I guess it's as good as any. I've become a bit paranoid. However, I know there are drugs out there that can and do make it worse, and there is much they don't know about the causes of tinnitus and what exactly is happening in the brain. I know there are studies going on about a few sufferers changing the pitch of their tinnitus with eye or facial movement. Maybe one day someone will find the "off" switch!  :)
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

Chances3

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:07:01 am »
I think many of us would be happy if we can make the noise manageable. I've had some success with an improved diet, no alcohol or caffeine, and quality sleep.  I also started a regiment of vitamin B-100.  All together, I have managed to keep the nasty shrill days down, that has helped.