Author Topic: BAHA safety cords - what do you use?  (Read 3008 times)

spgreenfield

BAHA safety cords - what do you use?
« on: April 05, 2013, 11:49:50 am »
I've created my own safety line since mine seems to get knocked off by kids, babies and basic weird movements by me!  I've tried to contact the mfg of my BAHA and ask about sound transferal being affected or not....they're ignoring me....  But I AM interested in finding out what everyone does do to keep these expensive little critters safe!!!!
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: BAHA safety cords - what do you use?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 02:32:08 pm »
Mine gets knocked off once in a while...doing yard work, playing with the grandkids, so I usually take it off when I do those things.

James

spgreenfield

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:50:22 pm »
Well I just heard back from the mfg and he confirmed that no sound is lost by my use of an "O" ring on my abutment with fishing line to the BAHA.  I have images I can post or email if anyone is interested.  The fun part was going into the hardware store and standing there "trying on" O rings over my abutment!  Nobody saw me anyway, but it sure felt weird!  It's just it's too expensive of an item to let fall all the way to the floor.  This method of mine is invisible and easy to put on and take off!
Pam in South Dakota

Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 12:45:22 pm »
I don't use any type of safety cord.

I've worn a BAHA processor for almost 5 years now and have only knocked it off my head twice and that was early on.  Actually I only knocked it off myself once; the other time it was my son being wild and waving his hands around.

I make it a habit not to wear my BAHA in situations where I think it has the potential - real or imagined - of being knocked off and/or damaged.  For example, I don't wear it when I mow the lawn, shovel snow, etc.

My thought is better safe than sorry.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

spgreenfield

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 01:07:53 pm »
As I am caring for my granddaughter who is only 10 months old....it can get knocked off accidentally - and I've actually knocked it off while crawling under something - a sink I think to repair something....so for me it's a necessity.  I also have knocked it off out on the golf course readjusting my hat brim and accidentally flipped it off.  Kinda like if you drop something JUST RIGHT it will shatter - if I pull at the right spot on it - it flips right off!!!!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12