Author Topic: post during surgery  (Read 2828 times)

bgaard9

post during surgery
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:37:39 pm »
Tumor appears to be gone, facial nerve appears fully intact. Time to sew things up, harvest fat to fill hole, install titanium mesh and sew ear back on.

He has been in surgery about 12.5 hours.  He will recover in the neuro ICU and my wife who is an RN (for another part of the same health system) and former ICU nurse will stay with him (there is a chair for her to grab a nap in)

Good news so far in Kansas City

Charles

bgaard9

Re: post during surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:40:41 pm »
we had a scare that the 18 bed Neuro ICU might fill up and he would have to recover in the regular recovery room but we went up and confirmed that they knew he was coming and would have a bed.  They reserved the last bed for him and put up the occupied sign. that place was hopping.

bgaard9

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:59:26 pm »
I guess I was behind the times, wife is with him in ICU. Docs were worn out and described the tumor as "squishy" and said that is why it took such a long time, not tough to get off nerve just slow and tedious, they were very confident facial nerve was showing full response. So a total of 13.5 hours of surgery.

I will go down and see him in the morning and let his momma take care of him tonight. he has a 16 year old brother who I may let skip school to go down and visit his brother tomorrow.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:33:00 am »
It is an intense time when the tumor is difficult to remove.  Glad the worst is over and now he is in recovery.  Many times the ordeal is just as exhausting for the caregivers, as it is for the patient.  Be sure you take time to rest, as well!

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 11:09:53 am »
Charles,
Great news that your son has come through the surgery so well.. Hope he had a good night, I am sure his Mother saw to that! Now on to recovery,,, give him time to rest and encourage walks as he is able  once Drs allow it
Thanks for early updates and our best wishes for steady recovery,,,prayers and good wishes coming your family's way,,Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26