Author Topic: BAHA  (Read 4357 times)

foundmytreasure

BAHA
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:18:59 pm »
I wanted to know I had BAHA Surgery on Jan 25 and get the processor turned on March 12.  This would be about 2 months yet everyone states 3 months or more.  Is it up to the Dr for this?  I am grateful too as I only needed to wait 7 days before being able to was my hair!  During those 7 days I did use a small plastic cup covered the area good and washed my hair with success on keeping the BAHA area completely dry!  I read about that on the BAHA site and it worked!  Thought I would pass that along to new people!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: BAHA
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 08:28:33 am »
Yaaaaay for getting the BAHA.  As for processor wait-time, when Cochlear applied to the FDA for approval to market the product a number of years ago, the FDA made physicians/audiologists tell patients they must wait 90 days for the abutment to osseointegrate into the bone before attaching the processor.

Many patients osseointegrate much sooner than that (I did).  However, the processor does vibrate ever so slightly when in use so you really do want that abutment completely solid before attaching the processor.  Mine was attached at about 85 days and I have never had a single issue with the abutment.

I would certainly follow my doctor's and/or audiologist's recommendation in your particular situation, because many do fine sooner.

Just my opinion ..... I am not a doctor.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lisa Hughes

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 09:04:45 am »
New subscriber here!  (My husband was diagnosed with an AN last April.)  As for the length of time to wait for your BAHA processor, if you are uncomfortable with the two months, just tell them you'd like to wait another month before receiving the processor.  It certainly wont hurt to wait if that's what you want to do.  As Clarice said, its quicker for some people.  The BAHA didnt work at all for my husband. 

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 11:49:14 am »
What happened that the BAHA and your husband were a bad fit?

char1957

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 07:46:46 pm »
I waited 3 months for my processor.  I am sad to say that the BAHA didn't work well for me.  The only time I notice any difference at all is in a quiet surrounding and then I am able to hear the person speaking on my deaf side a little.  Any background noise makes it worse, and even on the background noise setting, I notice no difference at all.  I have many nights that my head on the BAHA side is so sore that I can't sleep on it.  I am seriously thinking of getting it removed.

On a brighter note, everyone that I have talked to or heard from, has nothing but good things to say.  Guess I am just one of the few that it doesn't work for.  I sure wish you the best with yours!
2.5 AN right side, diagnosed 12/12/09
Retrosigmoid Surgery 2/8/10
Encompassed 4th-8th Cranial Nerves
Lost hearing and balance w/other deficits
3rd year MRI no regrowth on AN, but found 10mm Menengioma right frontal lobe

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 03:32:00 pm »
I thought mine did not work so well at first. I know the audi that set it up was in a horrible mood that day, and she set it up wrong. I met with a Cochlear rep at a new office and she helped set it up...BIG change! You might ask to have it reprogramed.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 08:09:53 am »
Yaaaaay for getting the BAHA.  As for processor wait-time, when Cochlear applied to the FDA for approval to market the product a number of years ago, the FDA made physicians/audiologists tell patients they must wait 90 days for the abutment to osseointegrate into the bone before attaching the processor.

As Clarice mentions, this was years ago.  Within the past 2 years Cochlear changed their "equipment" - now it's made from materials used for dental implants - and they changed their recommended waiting time.  I don't recall exactly what the new time is, but I know it's less than 90 days.

That said, most docs who do the BAHA implant still like to be conservative and go with the 90 days.  I know mine still makes patients wait that long.

As for the plastic cup, docs have different protocols, but my doc allowed me to shampoo 24 hours post implant by holding a cup over my site.  The key is to not let the site get wet.   

The BAHA is incredible; have had mine a little over 5 years now and absolutely LOVE it!!

Congrats,

Jan

Char, as James suggested, you may want to look into reprogramming.  Might make all the difference in the world.   
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:11:40 am by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 03:34:02 pm »
I echo Jan's and everyone else's sentiments...the BAHA is truly a glorious thing! I had to wait 3 months after my SECOND surgery to get my processor turned on.  Take care and let us know how it goes!  Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston