Author Topic: Post op appt today-severed facial nerve recovery?  (Read 3362 times)

Unjaded

Post op appt today-severed facial nerve recovery?
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:02:55 pm »
I was told the facial nerve was severed. The surgeon used Duragen to create a neural tube to house the two ends of the nerve. Has anyone else had this? Did the nerve grow back together? How long did it take?

Jill Marie

Re: Post op appt today-severed facial nerve recovery?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:39:22 am »
Hi, I don't know all the details of my surgery but I do know my facial nerve was severed, that was 20 years ago.  I had a nerve graft, used part of a nerve from my neck.  It was about 5 to 6 months before I noticed that the nerve graft was working.  Hopefully someone else on the board has had the same procedure you have and can give you a better answer.  Take Care, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

alabamajane

Re: Post op appt today-severed facial nerve recovery?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 06:45:58 pm »
Hi Unjaded,
I had my AN surgery Oct 2011, my facial nerve was also severed. I did not have the tube you spoke of as the Dr was able to save enough to butt both ends up together . It took about 6 months before I saw any real movement, the Dr had said on discharge that it takes nerves 12-18 mos to regenerate,, and at 12 mo visit, he was "happy" with results ,, so give it some time and try to be patient,, which is easier said than done I know, I now am able to drink without a straw most of the time, except hot coffee,, still don't chew on that side as swallowing is not too good,, forgot to say I had the 12-7 nerve graft, so he connected facial nerve to tongue,,,, yeah, it's awkward at times,,

Hope this helps some,,, I am willing to bet you will have good results too within about 6mo. You will see small movement on that side almost weekly/ daily,,, let us know how you do and best wishes for much success ,, I did not do any training or actual exercises per se, just massaged cheek and tried not to tighten eye too much to avoid synkenisis,, will look forward to your posts ,,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26