Author Topic: post radiosurgery, anyone had this?  (Read 2895 times)

Alison

post radiosurgery, anyone had this?
« on: January 03, 2013, 02:33:39 am »
Hi Alison here, one week post SRS today.

I just wondered if anyone else who had radiosurgery developed pain at the top of the head on the AN side? The back pinsite area is still sore that side but the whole area, especially the top where there is no pinsite has felt like my hair is being tugged by the roots continually for the past three days.

I wonder if it could be referred pain in the scalp or coming from inside the head, it hurts to the touch but then I have also have had mild headache since zapping, and bruising on the front pin sites (along with increased pre treatment symptoms).   Just wondered if it was "normal"?

Thanks for any info, Alisonx
CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

mk

Re: post radiosurgery, anyone had this?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 08:35:41 pm »
Hi Alison,

if I remember well, I did experience some pain/tenderness on the forehead/top of the head post-GK. Fortunately it was on the non-AN side (which experienced more bruising from the pinsite), so I wasn't too worried about it. I would have been much more worried if it was on the AN side. I remember that ibuprofen helped.
You are still fresh out of treatment, and all sorts of nuisances like this can happen. If it is something more serious that doesn't get away with a regular painkiller, it would be wise to check with your doctor.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

maxine

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:44:06 pm »
Hi,

The back of my head hurt after Gammaknife.  The pin sites hurt but it also felt like something else that was different on the AN side: it both was numb and hurt if that made sense.  Every time I got in my car and my head touched the headrest it felt very weird.  Two months later, I am happy to say my head is not sensitive there anymore.  Hope the same happens for you,

Maxine

Alison

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:01:30 am »
Thanks Marianna and Maxine,

I'm hoping it is all just the anaesthetic wearing off (hence new tingling sensations across the scalp now too) and the nerves that have been affected by the pin sites. Every day brings something new!

Regards,

Alisonx

CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

Upstate

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 06:28:42 pm »
Hi Allison,

I had facial tingling and twitching after GK.  My Dr. told me that was from GK.  He said the facial nerve "didn't like what I did to it."  After several months it went away.  A few days ago I felt that familiar twitching, but this time I could feel it on the top of my head and the back of my head.  It was a very intense tingling that I remembered on my face but this time it was on the top of my head and extended to the back.  I googled 7th cranial nerve and from what I could see (I am still not good with all this medical stuff) it looked like the facial nerve extends to the top of the head and even into the back of the head.  It was exactly where I was feeling the intense tingling. Perhaps your facial nerve is "angry" and this is what you're feeling?  Fortunately the next day my tingling was gone.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

Upstate