Author Topic: Opportunity to participate in bone-anchored research in NY  (Read 6301 times)

jaclynears

Announcing an opportunity to participate
in a study of a new bone-anchored hearing device.

Current users of the BahaTM (bone anchored hearing prosthetic device) by Cochlear Corporation are invited to participate in a study at Columbia University Medical Center in the City of New York.

We are comparing the effectiveness of BahaTM  with a newly introduced device called the Ponto Pro by Oticon Medical.  If you are a current user of a BahaTM, we invite you to contact us about this study.

The study will measure current performance with the BahaTM device. Then, the Ponto Pro device will be fit and worn for a 4week trial period. During the trial period, you will follow your normal daily routine. At the end of the trial period, you will return to our department for a reevaluation wearing the Ponto Pro. Each of the test sessions will be approximately one hour.

The procedures entail hearing examination at the beginning of the study, both with and without your Baha TM Divino aid or BP100. During these tests, you will respond to signals and speech stimuli. You will then be fit with the Ponto Pro. After 4 weeks, the testing will be repeated. In addition, we will ask you to complete 2 questionnaires [one before the trial and one after]. In this way, we will compare your results and your questionnaire responses with the Divino or BP100 to the those with the Ponto Pro. At the end of your participation, you will be able to resume wearing your BahaTM normally. At the end of the study, you will have the option of purchasing the Ponto Pro if you feel that it is better than you BahaTM device.

There is compensation for participation.

If you are interested in participating, please call 212-305-0029 or email Dr. Jaclyn Spitzer at jbs50@columbia.edu or Dr. Dean Mancuso at dm2043@columbia.edu.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Opportunity to participate in bone-anchored research in NY
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 04:34:45 am »
(Hi all, please note that the ANA is approving this topic/post as this is a study that some may be interested in finding out more info. If so, please contact this user via PM/Email here or via the contact info provided in the bottom of the post. Thanks. Phyl)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

LizAN

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 10:12:21 am »
I didn't think the BP100 and Ponto Pro would attach to the same abutment.  Will they?
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 09:19:41 pm »
I didn't think the BP100 and Ponto Pro would attach to the same abutment.  Will they?

Depends on when the implant was done.  At one point in time the Cochlear equipment would accomodate both Cochlear and Oticon processors.  Then Cochlear changed that and now only Cochlear equipment will accomodate Cochlear processors.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 09:21:30 pm »
What is a BahaTM?

I got my implant in March 2008 and originally wore a Divino processor; then I upgraded to a BP100.

I'm a Cochlear volunteer, but I've never heard of a BahaTM.

Can you tell us what this is?

Thanks,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LizAN

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:51:11 pm »
I assumed the TM meant "trademark."
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 04:16:45 am »
I assumed the TM meant "trademark."

correct
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:20 pm »
My implant was March 2010 and it is the older style, and a Ponto Pro will fit. Your local audi can tell you which one you have just looking at it.

James

LizAN

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 12:47:26 pm »
What is a BahaTM?

I got my implant in March 2008 and originally wore a Divino processor; then I upgraded to a BP100.

I'm a Cochlear volunteer, but I've never heard of a BahaTM.

Can you tell us what this is?

Thanks,

Jan

Jan,

When you upgraded your processor, did you have to get a new abutment?

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 02:13:17 pm »
Thanks Liz & Phyl for the explanation of TM.  Never thought of that  ::)

Liz -

no, I needed no abutment change to upgrade.  I had a Cochlear processor previously (Divino) and upgraded to a Cochlear processor (BP100). 

I was lucky enough to have my implant in 2010 before Cochlear changed their "equipment", so I can wear either a Cochlear processor or an Oticon processor.

Jan

LizAN

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 08:26:18 pm »
Thanks Liz & Phyl for the explanation of TM.  Never thought of that  ::)

Liz -

no, I needed no abutment change to upgrade.  I had a Cochlear processor previously (Divino) and upgraded to a Cochlear processor (BP100). 

I was lucky enough to have my implant in 2010 before Cochlear changed their "equipment", so I can wear either a Cochlear processor or an Oticon processor.

Jan

Lucky you, Jan, to have the choice!

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

LizAN

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 11:03:33 am »
Have the results of this study been published?  I sure would love to know what they found, as I have to choose my processor and let my audiologist know which one to order, by EOB tomorrow.  Yikes!

Liz

2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm