Author Topic: 'BrainLAB m3' stereotactic radiosurgery  (Read 5979 times)

Derek

'BrainLAB m3' stereotactic radiosurgery
« on: August 22, 2006, 07:44:22 am »
Hi all...

I posted a thread under 'General Discussion' a couple of days ago  re the 'BrainLAB m3' process but have not had any response to date.

In brief, I have almost decided upon GK treatment in the UK after 'wait and watch' for almost 5 years.

A British website has mentioned the 'BrainLAB m3' stereotactic radiosurgery treatment and a search of Google does indicate that the actual length of the radiation process is only 10 minutes!

Before finalising my decision to have GK I wondered if anyone has any practical knowledge of the 'BrainLABm3' process including its success in treating AN's and how it compares with GK?

Many Thanks

Derek

Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

shoegirl

Re: 'BrainLAB m3' stereotactic radiosurgery
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 07:58:51 am »
Derek,

Sorry, haven't come across it.  Sounds interesting though.  Please keep us posted.
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

Derek

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 05:04:08 pm »
Hi 'Shoegirl'...

Thanks for your response. Apparently the only hospital within the UK that has adopted the 'BrainLAB m3' stereotactic radiosurgery method is the Derriford Hospital in Plymouth, Devon. I intend to contact them and ascertain exactly what the treatment entails, its success rate and how it differs from GK. Will post result in due course.

Best Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 08:59:23 pm »
Hi Derek,

I am only familiar with GK in the UK so will be interested in this as well. Some of my medical friends in the UK were helping me with my AN decision process so I'd like to share any updates with them as well.

BTW, are you active on the BANA? 

Phyl
(btw, Cheeky Bloke lives in SE London (Herne Hill/Brixton) and his folks are in Shaftesbury/Dorset... LOVE it there!)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:19:48 pm »
Derek,
You are doing the right thing by researching. Historical numbers are really important. If this is new GK technology then you need to know. Especially any after effects such as what drugs you need to take, the recovery rate etc.

I am very interested in this process going forward as I will be attacking my re-growth with GK at some point in time (later rather than sooner)

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Derek

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 06:03:08 am »
Hi Phyl...

Yes..I am very active on the BANA site but have to say it is far more formal than this one...sadly there are no apparent pirate wenches etc that I am aware of in the UK but I'm sure they are there somewhere perhaps hiding under the 'British Stiiff Upper Lip' albeit mine is not so stiff these days since I retired a couple of years ago from a rather stressful role as a senior police officer dealing with homicide investigations.

I reside on the north east coast of England near to Newcastle upon Tyne and don't often get the opportunity to visit the London or Dorset areas. You mentioned on another thread about Jaffa Cakes etc...our son lives near Santa Clarita, CA and he and his wife certainly miss certain items like PG tea etc!

Might get the opportunity to meet you and 'Cheeky Bloke' over here or over there one of these fine days?

Hi Laz...

Sorry to learn about your re-growth situation and I do hope that your eventual subsequent treatment will prove totally successful for you. I have almost decided upon GK as we do not have CK yet anywhere in the UK. I have a current problem with my private health care insurers which won't be resolved until mid September so I am therefore utilising the time on active research albeit I now intend to remain on 'watch and wait' until my next scheduled MRI in April. I understand that Derriford Hospital in Plymouth (UK) is the only hospital within the UK that currently offers the 'BrainLAB m3' treatment process undertaken by neurosurgeon Mr James Palmer. His secretary is presently on holiday (vacation!) until next week and I will contact her when she returns when I will will post any info that I obtain re treatment success data and comparison with GK etc.

Very Best Regards

Derek

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 07:38:58 am »
Hi Phyl...

Yes..I am very active on the BANA site but have to say it is far more formal than this one...sadly there are no apparent pirate wenches etc that I am aware of in the UK but I'm sure they are there somewhere perhaps hiding under the 'British Stiiff Upper Lip' albeit mine is not so stiff these days since I retired a couple of years ago from a rather stressful role as a senior police officer dealing with homicide investigations.

I reside on the north east coast of England near to Newcastle upon Tyne and don't often get the opportunity to visit the London or Dorset areas. You mentioned on another thread about Jaffa Cakes etc...our son lives near Santa Clarita, CA and he and his wife certainly miss certain items like PG tea etc!

Might get the opportunity to meet you and 'Cheeky Bloke' over here or over there one of these fine days?

Afternoon Derek,

Did you work Scotland Yard or local police?  Wow, what a career you had.  Have spent time up in Ipswich and one of my all time favorites, Great Yarmouth! I just love it there!  I certainly am familiiar with the "Brit Stiff Upper Lip" and can handle it! :)  Have found a Union Jack store near me for PG Tea and occassional Jaffa Cakes (McVitties, not Jacobs).  They even stock my Radox on occassion.

Please keep me/us updated on the new form of Radio-surgery. I'll also do a web search on it to see what is noted out there. Sounds rather facinating!

Cheers!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Derek

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 01:32:18 pm »
Hi again Phyl...

All my service (37 years) was in my home based territory within the Northumberland and Tyne & Wear areas of North East England. I was diagnosed within my last 2 years of service and it was a VERY tough period re single-sided deafness and balance problems particularly when, for personal reasons, I had decided not to inform my colleagues about my medical condition.

Will post again when I get further info re the 'BrainLAB m3' treatment process.

Best Regards

Derek

Derek

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 01:07:49 pm »
As promised, I have now received the requested info from Mr J. Palmer, Consultant Neurosurgeon, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, England who is the only practitioner offering the 'BrainLAB M3' treatment within the UK albeit it is apparently offered at approx 70 medical centres worldwide.

In brief, 'BrainLAB M3' is the name of a device (also known as 'shaped beam radiosurgery) that changes the radiation beam from a linear accelerator to focus onto a tumour target to the shape of the beam. In essence the 'shaped beam radiosurgery' delivers equivalent treatment to that provided by GK and is a straightforward alternative. The main difference between the two options is that.'BrainLAB M3' shapes the beam of radiosurgery to that of the tumour whereas GK builds up a number of overlapping spheres of radiation to map the tumour.

In the UK the cost of the treatment is £10,000 ($18.810.96) and has been offered for only 1 year to a total of 60 patients and therefore there is no data available on the overall success rate but apparently, worldwide, growth arrest of 90% is anticipated and of the remaining 10%, half (5%) are expected to undergo subsequent surgical removal of the AN.

The long term results are believed to be similar to GK and as there is apparently no evidence to indicate any distinct benefit applicable to the 'BrainLAB M3' process I would personally opt for any proposed stereotactic radiosurgery to be undertaken with the tried and tested GK system.

Regards

Derek
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 01:09:39 pm by Derek »