Author Topic: Dr. Sismanis at VCU Medical Center at MVC in Richmond VA  (Read 7854 times)

Laura

Dr. Sismanis at VCU Medical Center at MVC in Richmond VA
« on: August 22, 2006, 06:27:08 am »
Has anyone dealt with this doctor or know of anyone else that has? I have my first appointment with him in October and would like to know a little more about him before I go. I've searched this site but have only found on notation about him.  ??? 

Thanks

Laura
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

Rick Everingham

Re: Dr. Sismanis at VCU Medical Center at MVC in Richmond VA
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 06:01:19 pm »
Laura,

Dr. Sismanis performed my trans lab 3 years ago, I sent you an email.

Rick Everingham
1.5x1x1.2cm AN surgically removed by Tans Lab Jul 30, 2003, McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA.

Lisa B

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 07:15:46 am »
Hi Laura,
I've recently been diagnosed with a AN that is small (1cc x 6mm x 6mm) and had seen Dr. Sismanis in October.  Was given his name by a friend who was oh so happy with him. (She had him for different type of surgery).  I was not very comfortable with him but that may not be a factor for you.  He seemed to not want to address that I have terrible ear pain and he felt that I should do the watch and wait.  I had trouble with his disposition.  You may not.  I've been consulting with other doctors since then and so very unsure of my decisions.  Good luck.
Lisa B
Wait and watch - 1ccx6mmx6mm - Right Side
Diagnosed August '06

Rick Everingham

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 02:13:31 pm »
Lisa,

I would agree that he is distant (for lack of a better word), but that simply may be a culture thing.  I was however very pleased with his work and his resume.  He and his team did an excellent job on my an removal, my recovery has been outstanding considering the problems my an was causing.

I can understand your concern, every an is different, something that we all sometimes forget.  I wish you the best of luck.

Rick Everingham
1.5x1x1.2cm AN surgically removed by Tans Lab Jul 30, 2003, McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA.

lori78

Re: Dr. Sismanis at VCU Medical Center at MVC in Ricehmond VA
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 08:54:21 pm »
 ;)

Hi, I'm Lori, I'm new, had two surg's and Gamma Knife at CJW'a Nuerosurg/Gamma Dept within the past 6 mos.  I am only 28.   Upon my diagnosis, I was immediately sent to Dr. Singh SAHNI at CJW who works w ENT's Dr's Wayne and son Fred Schia.  I highly recommend at least consulting Dr Wayne Schia, as his Fellowship involed doing AN surg's more often than anyone else I'd researched.  He is young and spoke to me on my terms.  I highly recommend both MCV (although their rep is more for cancer)  I received hrs (30 total and gamma) and while I amstill waiting for radiation results, support the Sahni/Schia team at CJW.  I wish you the best
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

Rick Everingham

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 09:36:19 am »
I should note that Dr. Sismanis and Dr. Wayne Shia did my surgery.  I was very pleased with both.

lori78

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 11:52:13 am »
I saw Dr. Sismanis.... I am 29 and underwent 30 hrs of surg and ten of radiation.....

While I liked Dr s, I opted for the care of Dr. Sahni at CJW.  I know MCV has a better reputation, but it is my understanding, for personal reasons (he lost  a daughter to cancer at a young age), he opts to be at CJW's Neuro Unit because he prefers to not have interns, etc and his patients being asked a millionn questions.  I felt I made the right choice, even tho I still struggle.  My ENT was Dr. Wayne Schia, who trained at one of the best places in MI.  They did a great job in preserving my facial nerve.

Best, Lori
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07