Author Topic: Is a BAHA only for the SSD?  (Read 5809 times)

lrobie

Is a BAHA only for the SSD?
« on: November 15, 2012, 03:45:28 pm »
I had a check-up with my local ENT doctor today.  He said that my hearing loss was moderate to severe.  The marks on the audiogram report are mostly in the 70-80 range.  I'm not sure what that means exactly.  The doctor asked me if I felt I was ready for a hearing aid.  I haven't really looked into this, but I asked him if I would be a candidate for a BAHA.  He thought I would and referred me for a consult with another doctor in the practice who does those surgeries.  I was just curious if you know whether I have to be totally deaf to get the BAHA.  I also wonder if I were to get a regular hearing aid if that would help with the tinnitus and hyperacusis.  Thanks for your input.

Lisa

P.S.  I also discovered that we have a licensed vestibular therapist in my city who I should have been going to all along.  I'm scheduling an appointment with her to see if that helps with my wonkiness.
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Is a BAHA only for the SSD?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 04:12:57 pm »
Lisa ~

I'm not an expert on the BAHA (that would be Jan B.) but to the best of my knowledge, one has to be SSD for it to be really effective, otherwise, a 'regular' hearing aid is usually recommended.

A hearing aid will likely not have much effect on the tinnitus but better hearing may help 'mask' it somewhat.

Good luck with your vestibular therapist consult!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Twindy

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 09:22:16 pm »
Lisa, I am wondering the same thing.  My doc says I won't be interested in a hearing aid because it will just make noise.  But does that make me eligible for other devices?  What does one do in that  in-between stage where word recognition is almost non exsistant but there is still some hearing?  I will be interested to hear what you find out.  Good luck!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 08:33:54 am »
If I am not mistaken Jaylogs still had (or has) some hearing in his AN ear and wears a Baha.  Hopefully he will add in to this discussion.

Patients with ANs experience sensorineural hearing loss (nerve function loss).  That means the sound from the outer ear is not properly reaching the brain because the nerve is damaged (or missing if the AN is surgically removed via translab).  The frequencies still getting through can vary greatly from patient to patient.

After my first surgery, when I still had approximately 20% of my hearing, I wore a traditional air-conducted hearing aid with good success.  However, I had 100% speech discrimination, which meant I had sufficient use of some high frequencies that it was successful.  Since the second surgery, via translab and I am SSD, I have had wonderful results with the Oticon Medical Ponto Pro bone-conducted hearing device.

If I were you, I would work with an experienced, well-trained audiologist, who has experience with both air-conducted and bone-conducted devices for an opinion on my particular hearing loss.

Just my thoughts .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

marisa_rivera

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 09:06:40 am »
We are new to the baha experience. My daughter just had her surgery. She has SSD and per her doctor, she was a very good candidate for it since she had absolutely no hearing in that ear.
He said that he's noticed that people w/ some hearing can get a little frustrated w/ adjusting to what the ear picks up along w/ what the baha picks up.
Since a normal hearing aid would never benefit w/ my daughter, I dont know how good they work for people w/ slight to severe hearing loss. I'd explore those options first before jumping into the BAHA option since you are dealing w/ having an abutement permanently put in.

PamJ

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:52:03 am »
Hi Lisa I have a BAHA and it does seem to help with my tinnitis.  I've had a slight infection and can't wear it for three days and oh boy do I miss it.  I have read of people here in the UK who have some hearing and have a BAHA.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

lrobie

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 01:08:51 pm »
Thanks for your responses.  Keep them coming.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 07:45:08 pm »
You do not have to be completely SSD to be a candidate for a BAHA.  I didn't realize that until my neurotologist told me.

According to him (and he's the expert), patients with hearing loss should be evaluated on a case by case basis.  So talk to your doc and/or your audiologist.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 07:47:36 pm »
Forgot to say that as far as tinnitus goes:

if you have it, a BAHA implant won't make it go away nor will it make it better or worse;

if you don't have it, a BAHA implant won't cause it.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 07:53:08 pm »
Since a normal hearing aid would never benefit w/ my daughter, I dont know how good they work for people w/ slight to severe hearing loss. I'd explore those options first before jumping into the BAHA option since you are dealing w/ having an abutement permanently put in.

It's important to stress to those of you who've had AN surgery that BAHA implant surgery is ABSOLUTELY nothing like AN surgery - so don't let that put you off.  Implant surgery is outpatient - except in Canada (where it's inpatient; not sure why) - and it only takes about 90 minutes from start to finish.  You can even opt for local anesthesia (I did) which means you don't have to deal with the "fog" and nausea that sometimes comes from general anesthesia.

I also want to stress that having an abutment permanently implanted may cause some people to hesitate, but it's never been a problem for me.  It becomes second-nature - kind of like contacts become for people who wear them - and it's very low maintenance.  I do nothing more to clean mine than wash it with my fingers when I shampoo my hair.

Jan

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 08:22:23 pm »
Hi there!! As Clarice said, I do have hearing...in the 45-50% range.  My doc said I was a good candidate for BAHA over a conventional hearing aid because as he said, a hearing aid basically just amplifies sound, and if things sound gobbly gook, a hearing aid would just make it loud gobbly gook.  So I have enjoyed much improved hearing.  It's nice too because I haven't lost my sense of direction, which is a common complaint for SSD'ers.  The tinnitus thing, as Jan accurately pointed out, did not go away at all. If anything, it's worse than ever.  So I hope that helps, let us know what you do decide!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

lrobie

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 09:18:38 am »
My consultation is in January.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 03:54:17 pm »
Hi there!! As Clarice said, I do have hearing...in the 45-50% range.  My doc said I was a good candidate for BAHA over a conventional hearing aid because as he said, a hearing aid basically just amplifies sound, and if things sound gobbly gook, a hearing aid would just make it loud gobbly gook.  So I have enjoyed much improved hearing.  It's nice too because I haven't lost my sense of direction, which is a common complaint for SSD'ers.  The tinnitus thing, as Jan accurately pointed out, did not go away at all. If anything, it's worse than ever.  So I hope that helps, let us know what you do decide!

Thanks, Jay ~

I stand corrected (and in the future will likely avoid attempting to respond to questions regarding BAHA devices due to my lack of experience with them).   :-[

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.