Author Topic: Celebrating amidst misery  (Read 2796 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Celebrating amidst misery
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:25:40 am »
 :o Dear Friends,

I attended a long planned for marriage of cousins this weekend on Friday and My family and I stayed in New Jersey! They had been planning to have the mass in a beautiful church that was flood damaged, so an alternate church was sought out and found. After the wedding, those that weren't prevented from attending by lack of gas or a home to stay in had a good time dancing their troubles away. I felt guilty about celebrating while so many people in Staten Island, Long Island, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and parts of New Jersey were still without power and were in misery.

People that I met at the party who lived near my old neighborhood that I used to live in 40 years ago received very high flooding (since it was next to a canal). It seems that I have to check that out. I lived on Clocks Boulevard in Amityville.

Michael
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Celebrating amidst misery
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 02:56:22 pm »
Mike ~

There will always be suffering in the world -sometimes, close to home - so enjoying a few hours celebrating a wedding (while being fully aware of the problems and losses of others) does not equate to indifference.  I don't believe refusing to rightfully celebrate a joyous occasion somehow helps those who are in distress.   

I also grew up on the south shore of Long Island (West Islip) but left in 1967 and haven't been back there since my mother moved to Queens in '76. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MDemisay

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 10:51:36 pm »
Thanks for understanding Jim!
:-\

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

millie

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 11:04:56 am »
Mike-When life throws us difficult challenges, we have no choice but to deal with them and then try to go on.  So, it is right  that when there is a joyous event, we celebrate that good thing with others...it's what we hope and live for... and I hope you were dancing and boogeying, too! Mil

MDemisay

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 11:49:52 am »
Millie,

I danced with my wife and daughter and yes we boogeyed! My family was so fortunate to not be harmed  (other than by power outages )by the superstorm (or the noreaster (by downed trees)  that came soon after. But we know of many people who were affected and lost everything. We pray for them.

Mike