Author Topic: Did your balance issues clear up after translab?....After gamma knife?  (Read 26572 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Did your balance issues clear up after translab?....After gamma knife?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 07:13:16 pm »
Glad to here it worked out well.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

mayfly

Re: Did your balance issues clear up after translab?....After gamma knife?
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 05:41:46 am »
My balance issues worsened after GK (done in 2010)  in spite of two rounds of vestibular therapy. I walk 3 miles 4 days per week to keep myself in shape. I feel dizzy but watching the ground while I walk helps a lot. I was examined by 4 neurologists and had caloric tests etc., which show 58% of vestibular nerve damage on left side. BTW, I was awarded full SS disability in December 2012.

Carol P.

I had gamma knife in March of 2012.  I never had balance issues until after the GK!  I am going through a bout of vertigo right now in which the room spins every time I move my head.  Doc rx'd a dose of steroids but they had no effect on my symptoms.  They are confused because both my post-GK MRI's showed some slight shrinking of the AN.  My first bout of dizziness occurred last December, some 8 months after the GK.  I am getting very discouraged by this.  Some on line searching led me to a disorder called Endolymphatic Hydrops.  Primary endo. hydrops is known as Meniere's Disease but secondary appears to occur in response to an event or underlying condition such as head trauma or ear surgery. (hello!)  I know that AN has nothing to do with the endolymph (the fluid w/in the endolymphatic sac, a compartment of the inner ear).  However, it is possible that this separate condition could be brought on by the AN and its treatment.  Treatment is through vestibular therapy and diet.  I have an appt with my neuro next Tuesday and I plan to discuss this possible diagnosis with him.     
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:07:53 am by Carol P. »
diagnosed 1/23/12
1.8 cm x 1.6 cm, left side
loss of hearing, tinnitus but no balance issues