Author Topic: Does anyone experience bilateral tinnitus?  (Read 9023 times)

nicole927

Does anyone experience bilateral tinnitus?
« on: October 29, 2012, 09:44:31 pm »
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting! I'm 24 and I was diagnosed in April with a 3mm acoustic neuroma. My good ear (my right ear) has been ringing for quite a while now, though the ringing in my bad ear usually overpowers it so it doesn't bother me and hearing in my good ear was normal at last check. My question is: does anyone else experience bilateral tinnitus? I'm worried that it could be a tumor developing on my good side. I have an MRI coming up in November so I'll know soon enough either way but I'd like to know if other people experience this too.

Thanks! :)
Diagnosed on April 20, 2012 at age 23 with a 3mm acoustic neuroma in the left internal auditory canal

sunfish

Re: Does anyone experience bilateral tinnitus?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 12:54:32 pm »
Yup, both my bad ear and my good ear ring, on and off.  Of course, the ringing is worst in the AN ear, by far.  But sometimes I notice tinnitus in my good ear, too.  I just think it's because my poor brain doesn't know what to think about the screwy input it's getting from my ears, especially the bad one!  I wouldn't worry - I don't think tinnitus means you have another tumor.  Lots of people with NO tumors have tinnitus.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »
Ditto to what sunfish said.

My deaf AN side perception is much worse ..... more sounds and much louder ..... but my perfectly normal hearing ear perceives a lesser degree of ringing, as well.

I've had multiple MRIs an no sign of any tumor on my "good" side.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mattsmum

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:24:35 pm »
i get bilateral tinnitus too and no sign of tumour on good side. i am glad it is not just me too!
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:32:28 pm »
Yes, the AN side is much louder, but I do have it in both ears.  We always think the other side of the fence in greener, but it sure would be nice if both ears were the same.

TJ

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 08:59:22 pm »
I had the same question and really appreciate reading the answers you have received.  Tinnitus is on both sides for me as well.  Mine started after the MRI and I wondered if the noise in the MRI may have triggered it or if that was a coincidence? 

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

nicole927

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 03:11:33 pm »
Thanks for all the responses everyone! This puts me more at ease. My hearing feels normal in my good ear despite the tinnitus, so that's keeping my hopes up. Thank goodness for this discussion board!  :)
Diagnosed on April 20, 2012 at age 23 with a 3mm acoustic neuroma in the left internal auditory canal

nicole927

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 05:53:05 pm »
Just an update - I had an MRI on Wednesday and there was no sign of a tumor on the other side! :)

It is what it is

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 05:56:03 pm »
That is good news.  :)
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 02:13:27 am »
I have it bilateral now, funny thing is it didn't develope in the "good ear" until about 5 years ago....17 years after the orginal surgery! (had it in the AN ear since initial surgery)
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

nicole927

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 06:52:20 am »
I guess at least you had all those years without the ringing, though. Still, that really had to be a bummer when the ringing started. When the ringing started in my good ear, all I could think was, "I just want silence! Is that too much to ask for!?"

tkane

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 11:57:09 am »
I realize this post is a few years old, but I noticed that someone in this thread had posted that they began to have bilateral tinnitus after they had an MRI which found their AN.  I too am experiencing the same thing.  I never had tinnitus in my non AN ear, until after I had the MRI that found my AN!

Very strange to say the least!

AN found 3/17/17
Scheduled for Retrosigmoid Surgery 5/23/17
Before Surgery: Moderate Hearing Loss, Tinnitus, Minor/Occasional Diziness