Author Topic: BAHA type  (Read 8683 times)

nftwoed

BAHA type
« on: June 14, 2011, 02:29:48 pm »
Hi;

Was wondering if there is anyone wearing the following type BAHA, and how do you like it?
  http://sophono.com/home/

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: BAHA type
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 03:38:48 pm »
I never heard of this, but I can't say I would be too happy about wearing a magnet in my skull.  Just my own opinion.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:04:42 pm »
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:37:45 pm »
Ken, thanks for posting the link. As I read down, it is clear that this is not suitable for the brain tumor crowd since the magnet is not MRI compatible....unless one is positive they will never ever need another MRI.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 03:53:12 pm »
With my luck I would get stuck to the fridge like one on our granddaughters drawings.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 05:20:42 pm »
I was actually going to post about this a couple months ago, but realized I wasn't interested anyways.  I would take the abutment over a magnet in my skull (just don't sound right to me)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:03:57 pm »
Interesting link. 

Magnets are used in Cochlear Implants (CIs), so why not in BAHAs. 

Although I have to say that my abutment doesn't bother me at all - and I've been sporting it in my skull for almost 3 1/2 years now - so I'm not sure that personally I'd go this route.

Good point by Tod.  Magnets in the head would prohibit the use of an MRI machine.

There are amazing things being developed in medicine these days.  This reminds me somewhat of a new fully implantable, permanent hearing aid that my neurotologist told me about almost a year ago.  It's called the Esteem - and he's one of a handful of docs who have been trained to implant it.  http://www.envoymedical.com/

There are certain requirements for being eligible for it, having to do with the reasons for the hearing loss.  Some AN patients would actually qualify.  I have all the details; will have to post them one day.

Jan

PS to Keith -  I know your comment was tongue in cheek, but I have to say "boo"  :(
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 08:56:57 am »
Gee Jan, I never thought about it compared to the cochlear implant.  Although I never realized it had a magnet.  Never had to look into that one.

As for the Esteem, I had looked into that before and if the Acoustic nerve has been damaged...which is most common in AN patients....it won't work.  If it is the cochlea nerve, then yes.  But as for AN patients, it is always the acoustic nerve though.   Bummer....we are so limited in options!!
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

kaykay

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 01:13:46 pm »
ooh...now something like this I could do....maybe.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 03:45:52 pm »
Okay, kaykay, now I'm confused  ???

You refuse to have a hole drilled in your head for a BAHA implant, but you'd have a magnetic BAHA.

How do you think they get the magnet inside your head?   :)  I'm betting it's a much more invasive surgery than the conventional BAHA implant.

Denise -

CIs are even more amazing to me than BAHAs - and yes, they do involve magnets.  Those with CIs also get remote controls to "work" them.  I saw my first CI at a Cochlear Coffee Talk about 18 months ago and I was absolutely fascinated.

As for the Esteem, you are right, it wouldn't work for the majority of AN patients, but there are exceptions.  I think one of the examples my doc gave me was someone who had radiation and suffered hearing loss that was stable (not still diminishing).  I have lots of emails from him explaining the Esteem; I'll have to look at them and post some info.  I find the idea of a permanently implanted hearing aid very cool 8)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 08:44:25 pm »
  I'm betting it's a much more invasive surgery than the conventional BAHA implant.

Jan, It's about the same.  I had the magnet implanted in 1987 for the Xomed Audiant performed by Richard Wiet.  It almost like a CI magnet but a bit stronger under the skin.  I was half awake for the surgery and it only took about an hour (just like a Baha surgery and to this day, I still have the magnet in my head).  The only differences in that time, I was the first patient in the state of Illinois to have it done.  They tested the hearing device in OR and I remembered them talking to me in my half asleep state of mind.  I had people from the Xomed manufacturer and the director of Audiology which it was Kathy O'Connor.  You know the rest was history, remember that newspaper article I showed you? ;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:21:22 pm by Kencutus »
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 08:23:44 am »
Ken - 

I forgot about you.  Well, I really didn't forget about you, I forgot about your magnet.

I do remember the newspaper article and I know Richard Wiet has a copy of it framed on his desk.  So you're a celebrity here in Illinois  ;D

Richard also did the first CI in Illinois, so I guess that makes him a celebrity, too.

The ANA is fortunate to have him on their Medical Advisory Board.

Jan

y0ungshel

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 09:59:15 pm »
Please be very cautious as you consider getting the Sophono for you or your child. My daughter had the implant on both sides in September of 2012. She has been in constant and horrible pain since the day of the surgery.  My daughter has not been able to attend school or participate in any other activities that she loves since surgery, she is 12 years old and her life has been completely taken away from her.
When I told the Sophono representative about her pain at the switch on in October, he said that he had never heard of anything like that happening and he would get back to us, we never heard from him again.  It took me 4 months to get the doctors to take us seriously and she was admitted to Primary Childrens Hospital last week where the doctors can not even agree on a diagnosis. It has been incredibly difficult to get any support from the people at Sophono, they keep saying they are assisting us and then do nothing, meanwhile my daughter is in excruciating pain and has lost much of the quality of her life.
I have asked for their assistance on Facebook, and they give the cookie cutter answer that they are in contact with our doctors and audiologist which is not true, once again we are left with no support and no answers.
I am not saying this will be your experience, just saying, be careful and make the decision with your eyes wide open.

On a side note, the only other child who has had this surgery in our state, is also having the implants removed.

Good luck,  our thoughts and prayers are with you.