Author Topic: Tinnitus Masker  (Read 3036 times)

BeckyMax

Tinnitus Masker
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:31:27 pm »
Does anyone use one of these?  I have some issues from time to time, but my husband has a huge problem that started in the last few months.  It is so severe it keeps him up at night.   Does anyone use one?  Was it covered by insurance?  What was the cost?

Thanks!
Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Tinnitus Masker
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 06:44:56 am »
Hi Becky .....

Check out http://www.ata.org/ which is the website for the American Tinnitus Association.  Also check out http://www.neuromonics.com/ which is another program for sufferers of tinnitus.

Because I am SSD, and all maskers need hearing to work, I am not a candidate for typical tinnitus treatment in my deaf ear (that my brain perceives as roaring/ringing with tinnitus).   But, I do have tinnitus in my remaining ear in which I have excellent hearing ..... so, I purchased the Ecotones Duet Sound Therapy Relaxation Sleep Machine with Bonus Sleep Therapy Pillow Speakers through Amazon.  The speakers go under my pillow and I "listen" to a babbling brook with my good ear on my pillow.  It really helps my brain to focus on a pleasant sound, instead of the annoying tinnitus.

To my knowledge (someone correct me if I am wrong!), most insurance companies will not pay for the expensive masking or neuromonics-type programs because so much is unknown about the ultimate value of them in some people.

I joined the ATA to keep track of new, upcoming research and treatment options because it really is a major distraction in my life.

Best wishes.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

BeckyMax

Re: Tinnitus Masker
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 08:24:21 pm »
Thanks, Clarice, I'll check that site.
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12